Arabic, Farsi and Urdu?

Yeah I need to two foreign languages before I take my FSOT. I can understand Urdu/ Hindi. I heard 65% of words from Urdu are Farsi borrowed. So I have decided to study Farsi and Arabic. Just a few questions do Urdu, Farsi and Arabic use the same script. Which one should I learn first Arabic or Farsi. You guys know any good programs to study these languages?. If you are an American who learnt Arabic how long did it take you to learn Arabic. Which is Standard Arabic? So many questions. Please answer?

• omlick
    Favorite Answer

Urdu and Arabic might share a large vocabulary but the grammatical structure of the languages is completely different as Urdu is an Indic (Indian) language similar to Hindi. Farsi is also an Indo-Aryan Language and is also related to Urdu, but the grammar is going to be different again. Farsi is really Persian, and no it is not derived from Arabic, but it is a member of the Indo-European family of languages. So is Hindi and Urdu for that matter. Arabic is in a different family altogether.

The Urdu script has the most characters because it must follow the Hindi/Urdu phonetic scheme. In other words you can write almost any Hindi word using the urdu script because the urdu script has the means to express the various sounds of hindi/urdu. It is larger than the arabic and farsi scripts because of the extra sounds.

Arabic is a semitic language and is more related to Hebrew than Urdu with the exception of vocabulary. But be aware the same word in arabic might mean something different in Urdu . But it is true, Urdu is loaded with arabic loan words. I am surprised myself about how many words are from arabic. You can tell by the spelling of the word where it comes from if you know the urdu script.

Beware that vowels are written ambiguiously and that might work for Arabic which is a root language but for Urdu it is a major pain in the *** as far as I am concerned. Arabic script does not allow for vowels because they were not necessary to write, only consonants determined the spelling of a word, not the vowels. But Urdu of course depends on its vowels as well as consonants to distinguish its words. Here is where using a script that doesn't account for vowels becomes a pain in the *** as many words then have the same spelling and you have to guess which are its vowel sounds by the context of the sentence.

Good luck learning the arabic and Farsi and whatever.

You are of course joking. Arabic is a Semitic language, mostly spoken by Arabs (Iraq, Syria, Jordan and the Arabian peninsula). Urdu is spoken in many parts of Pakistan, it is basically Hindi written in Arabic script - don't kill me, a Muslim Pakistani told me that! Farsi is the same as Persian, it is an Indo-Persian language, varieties of which are spoken by the Kurdish people and some Afghans. Mostly spoken in Iran (formerly Persia). Since Urdu and Farsi are both derivatives of Sanskrit and use the Arabic alphabet, I can see some connection there, but apart from the alphabet I can't see anyway that learning Arabic would help you learn Farsi. Two years is not enough for all three!

• raymo

Urdu Farsi

• J V

Urdu and Farsi can be written in either Roman or Arabic letters. However you will find if you know Arabic script that Urdu and Farsi use extra letters.

Urdu has load words from Farsi Arabic and Turkic dialects form Central Asia.

You probably should learn Arabic or just Arabic script first?

I have read that some people use the devanagari letters to write Urdu !

Modern Standard Arabic is not the same as Quranic Arabic so check what your text book is based on?

• ?

Learn Arabic With Rocket Arabic!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awWpB

Arabic is spoken in the whole of the arabic world, thats ranging from syria, lebanon, yemen, oman, jordan, saudi, UAE, bahrain, kuwait, palestine, bahrain, egypt, algeria, sudan, tunisia, morocco and others! not just iraq. and iraqi arabic is very different from all the rest! and probably not the best arabic to learn because it is so different from the other forms (what i mean is each region has their own form, be it lebanon, palestine, syria and jordan or the north african maghreb arabic)... i personally would go for egyptian or levantine (lebanon, syria, palestine, jordan) arabic because it is the most bog standard i believe, as opposed to iraqi, gulf or north african. It is a very difficult language, especially if you are starting from scratch. I am Palestinian and my husband is Iraqi and I struggle to understand his pronounciation and accent! To clear things up, arabic does not make persian easier. they are both very different languages from 2 very very different cultures. they may share the odd same word (apart from the religious terms persians use, which are of course arabic) and the same alphabet but persian has letters arabic doesn't, and the whole structure of the words and language are different. The same with urdu. Completely different from arabic! not even the slightest bit similar! To learn these languages it depends on you, are you living near/with anyone speaking these languages or in a country that speaks the language? if not it could take a long time. they are all difficult languages to learn. I'd say even if you dedicated time just to doing so, learning them could take a while. hop eive been of some help

WELL I THINK YOU SHOULD LEARN ARABIC FIRST..once you learn it...it would be easy for you to learn farsi and urdu...coz both of them derived from Arabic....