Anonymous

how is it being an electrician?

im in community college first yr and ive always wanted to be an electrician but never really knew how it really is out there? construction or residential eletrician? i dont wanna waste my time at college when i could be going to tech school for something that can really fit my needs. i prefer residential but any information is appreciated. thanks

Favorite Answer

To be honest try to join the union in the area. The pay sucks but they have night school for 5 years which is paid for and all you do is pay for the books. You get to work 40 hours a week and sometimes more, heathcare, and raises every year. You will get to be both inside and outside. Once you are out of the program then you can decide what to do really. You will have on the job training, first year it is making water, filling the trucks up, handing them tools, and moving things from job to job. Second year the samething but a little more experience, really matters on the journeyman. You will learn a lot from both and will make you needed on more jobs. I hope this helps some. Union keeps you in the job most of the time, but non union pays more at the moment in most places.

Source(s): Union electrican 3rd year in school
  • manner

Being An Electrician

This is my advice, (this is coming from a residential electrician with 9 years expierence), you should simply go out there and apply at a couple of local shops ( I would say non-union shops) and just tell them you are interested in becoming an electrician, I dont think it will be too difficult to be hired on, most shops are always looking for apprentices, the down side is the pay at first is pretty low ( like $10.00 or $11.00 dollars here), but you have to start somewhere, in my opinion going to community college or a trade school for this field is a waste of time, on the job training in my opinion is the only way to go, you will learn so much more usefull information and skills, I know this, because I did attend class for 2 years (completely useless), I am a residential electrician in Kansas City with 9 years of experience, and I currently make around $25.00 dollars an hour, I dont work very hard at all and I do like the work still, I do hold a journeyman license which isnt really all the needed either (some cities do require it though) if your are interested in getting a license just ask around at what ever shop you go to work for, people there will know where you need to go to test for it, however you will probably want to have around 2 years expierence and study alot before doing that, I know people with more expierence than me that dont have a license, so it doesnt really matter unless you are starting your own company and need to pull permits for jobs, I know Im starting to ramble so I'll just say get out there and get you some on the job training at a local shop, in 2 or 3 years you'll be making good money and hopefully like what you do for a living.......good luck.

• Linda

Any licensed skill is worth more money. Self employed, licensed, plumbers charge about $80 an hour. Same for sparkies. Same for HVAC repair men. The trick is to pick a trade that Mexicans can not flood, and depress the wages. It's not racist, it is fact. Carpenters and flat workers top out at $20 an hour. Roofers even less. And that rate is falling. Competition depends on where you live. My city has been above 10% unemployment since this recession got started. And really, for Atlanta, the recession began with hurricane Katrina. Fresh out of trade school, you can expect about $12-$16 an hour. Just a numb nut walk on can expect minimum wage.