Was it 1969 when Pavarotti first appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson?

I don't remember for sure, but I was about 12 or 13 years old. Of course I was into Zepplin and The Allman Brothers. So, of course I didn't like opera. But Pavarotti performed on Johnny Carson and he really knocked me out. That man could sing like no one I had ever heard. My dad walked around the house... show more I don't remember for sure, but I was about 12 or 13 years old. Of course I was into Zepplin and The Allman Brothers. So, of course I didn't like opera. But Pavarotti performed on Johnny Carson and he really knocked me out. That man could sing like no one I had ever heard. My dad walked around the house trying to sing opera for days after that.
The world lost a great talent when Luciano Pavarotti died.
Update: Really! Funny how my memory was so off. No it couldn't be 79? I was 22 in 79. Anyway he was a great tenor.