Was it 1969 when Pavarotti first appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson?

I don't remember for sure, but I was about 12 or 13 years old. Of course I was into Zepplin and The Allman Brothers. So, of course I didn't like opera. But Pavarotti performed on Johnny Carson and he really knocked me out. That man could sing like no one I had ever heard. My dad walked around the house trying to sing opera for days after that.

The world lost a great talent when Luciano Pavarotti died.

Really! Funny how my memory was so off. No it couldn't be 79? I was 22 in 79. Anyway he was a great tenor.

Favorite Answer

I believe the first time Pavarotti appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was between 1972 and 1978.

If my memory is correct he came with Richard Thomas (John Boy Walton) ..

Richard was a scheduled guest on the Tonight Show that night, but he really wanted to introduce this man, this voice, to the American public. This was so unplanned that I don't think Johnny was even aware of what was going to happen.

Moments after Richard was introduced he introduced Pavarotti, the curtain opened and he was standing by a piano. Then he sang and I became a fan.

This is how I remember it. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

(I see other's have answered with 1979, which would be while the Waltons were still running but after Richard Thomas left the show.)

As far as I know, Pavarotti first appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on Friday 14 September 1979.

1979