nitelans asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Who is tired of hearing about this Serena interview BS?

Serena Williams. Interviewed after her loss to Henin at the US Open. Yes, she could have been more graceful with her answers. However, in all fairness to Serena, she had just gotten beat in a match that was disappointing to her and then she had to submit to an onslaught of interrogation type questions before she even got to shower and think it over. If you had just lost something that was ultra important to you, and you had no idea what happend other than she got beat - I saw the interview and thought she was just being honest and raw. Who cares if she was brash and upset...she's passionate about how she feels about her game. If she hadn't come to the interview session, she would have been torn up by the media anyways and fined. I think, under the circumstances, people should cut her some slack. She didn't lash out an anyone, she wanted to go into her little cave and think about what happend without answering ridiculous questions Am I the only one that can sympathize?

Favorite Answer

I agree wholeheartedly. If I had just lost, I wouldn't want to talk to anybody either. I truly don't know what they wanted from Serena. She said that Henin struck the ball harder and went for it....and won. I guess a lot of the media just weren't going to be satisfied unless Serena admitted that Henin was the better PLAYER, period. No competitor worth his or her salt is going to do that. And certainly not one as fiercely competitive as Serena. Her pride was smarting and, yes, the "lucky shots" comment could have been construed as bratty. Yet, "bratty" appears to be all that's needed for the press to crucify this woman. It's over and done. I'll just be glad when they let it go. They are other tennis players who have said worse things that didn't get nearly this much press (Martina Hingis before her "retirement" was notorious for this). And the vitriol against her didn't even approach this level.

Read the TRANSCRIPT before opening your mouths!

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2007-0...

She was upset that she lost. She didn't feel that she played well. And the reporters agreed. These are people who follow the tour! And she said Henin was a) more aggressive b) played harder c) hit better balls. The lucky shots comment was one sentence in an interview that otherwise criticized her own play and admitted that henin was better that match.

What should she say? That Henin is the better player? Why? She's an athlete. You don’t admit someone is better. EVER! You do that, you might as well mail it in.

Serena's only problem is that she is a black woman in a white girls game. And people hate her for being as good as she is without putting all of her energy and focus into it. If it isn't racism, then I want to hear the same people criticize Henin for her on-the-court antics.

If Serena decided to be the Roger Federer of the women's side, she could. But she isn't focused that way. Maybe this stupidity over her comments after the loss to Henin will tick her off enough to run off a grand slam or two.

Unpleasant and classless? What is wrong with you people? What was unpleasant or classless? She didn't call Henin any names. She didn't say that Henin sucked. She simply said she didn't play well and she wasn't happy about it. That's unpleasant and classless?! You people are hypocrites.

obviously no one answering this question has lost something that they really wanted. People should just give serena some slack did the media get on justine when she put her hand up during serenas service at the 03 french open. Or what about when maria sharapova cheated in the us open final with the signals. And finally serena said she could hear justine's coach illegally coaching her during the match so i don't blame serena for being upset. Also next year when justine gets hurt and isn't as dominate people will see how good justine really is (not that good)

• I could care less what and how she performed during the interview. Unfortunately in the public eyes, Serena was wrong at the interview. So, is the public wrong? Or was Serena wrong? I don't know.

If you compare how Jelena handled herself after the 3rd set tie break loss to Venus, verses how Serena handled herself, there's a big difference. Serena just needs to learn how to handle herself after a tough loss. Every tennis players know that, you are not gonna win EVERY match. Not even Federer :)

No, you're not the only one. I didn't hear what this is about, but I still can sympathize.

I don't know why they insist on interviewing atheles right after a big loss, or a big win. Maybe one time in a thousand, somebody says something inciteful and memorable. Otherwise its usually the same ol' cliches - My opponent was tough, It was a great match, thanks for the fan support, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, wait I remember why they do those interviews - its in the hope that the athlete will say the wrong thing and the reporters can blow it up and have something to talk about afterwards.

I totally agree... people are being too judgmental and they have no right to judge her. Yes she could have been this or that, but thats not being Serena. She gets scrutinized no matter what and at that moment she was just being real. She is passionate and a fierce competitor and she was disappointed in herself and her game. Point blank! She did give Justine some credit but of course, no one wants to focus on what she did do, its all about what she didnt do or how she could have acted. Serena is who she is... real! Take it or leave it! Its not that deep!

She was being a poor loser, plain and simple and I do not sympathize with her at all. "Lucky Shots"???? They are called winners, Serena. She didn't give her opponent any credit for beating her, for the 3rd straight time in a Grand Slam by the way. She showed a complete lack of class.

Serena is not the first person to lost a very important game.

I'm sick of it too. It really makes journalist look silly, racist and desperate. They really should be ashamed. I was actually shocked to see headlines on this BS.

Hate to break it to you buddy but this is the tennis section, not the media section.