Wiccan vs. Pagan?

Is there a difference between Wicca and Paganism? Just wondering, because I thought that the two terms could be used interchangably.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pagan is like the cereal aisle. Wicca is like the Cheerios.

There are many different kinds of Cheerios, and they are all cereal, but not all cereal is Cheerios.

You can eat a bowl of Cheerios and say "I'm eating a bowl of cereal" but you can't eat a bowl of Raisin Bran and say "I'm eating a bowl of Cheerios."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Wicca Vs Pagan

• 4 years ago

Pagan Vs Wicca

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Wiccan vs. Pagan?

Is there a difference between Wicca and Paganism? Just wondering, because I thought that the two terms could be used interchangably.

Source(s): wiccan pagan: https://shortly.im/bMNwV
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

All Wiccans are pagan, not all pagans are Wiccan. Wicca is a form of paganism. Other traditions include but are NOT limited to: Asatru/Norse Khemetic/Egyptian Hellenismo/Greek Sumerian Celtic Recon Eclectic Druid Italian(starts with an S but I can't remember what it's called) Romano Romuva (Lithuanian) And a host more. The only thing we all share is that we are mostly polytheist. That's about it.

• 1 decade ago

No, they aren't the same. There is a difference. Paganism is an umbrella term under which Wicca falls. It's also a religion in and of itself. All Wiccans are Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan. It's similar to the difference between Catholicism and Christianity. Catholics are all Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic. There are even non-denominational Christians. So no, they aren't interchangeable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...... Any religion that isn't one of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) is Pagan. Therefore a Wiccan is Pagan but a Pagan may not neccesarily be a Wiccan.

• 1 decade ago

Yes there is a difference.

Paganism is a blanket term that covers all earth-bound non mainstream religions of the world.

Wicca is an earth based religion/ faith that would be covered by the pagan blanket.

See pagans can be wiccans, druids, asaratus, or any other faith system other that Christianity, Juduaism, and Islam.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wicca is a sect of Neo-Paganism. Basically, all Wiccans are Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan. Just like all Methodists are Christian but not all Christians are Methodists.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with most answers give here...

Paganism is a category like Christianity

Wiccan is a sect.. like Baptist

so while all wiccans are pagans... not all pagans are wiccan

bless ya

Source(s): watch the Demystifying Paganism video on myspace tv for an awesome view on paganism http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.ind...
  • 1 decade ago

The two terms should not used interchangeably.

All Wiccans are pagan.

Not all pagans are Wiccan.

Just like:

All oranges are fruit.

Not all fruit are oranges.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.