Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why can't righties discern dissent from treason?

It's our right and obligation to dissent, to accuse us of treason is propaganda nothing more.

• Brian
    Favorite Answer

it can be a fine line and I have seen it tip toed at times..........

• Jack

I don't believe the left is "treasonous." They aren't even "dissenting."

You're not dissenting. You're disagreeing, nothing more. To call yourselves "dissenters" is to cheapen TRUE dissent. True dissenters were found in the USSR and China and other brutal regimes - in those places, to disagree wis to put your life in danger.

You all sit in the coffee shops (fair trade coffee, mind you!!!!), and the art galleries and attned the "poetry slams" and talk about how you hate Geo Bush. That's hardly "dissent." It's just free speech. And you have the right to free speech. (I also have the free-speech right to say that your ideas are stupid.)

Frankly, when you "liberals" call yourselves "dissenters," it's OFFENSIVE. You put yourselves on the same level as the true heores who dissented against communism and other evil systems.

Love jack

Dissent with a sound logical basis is fine. Dissent for no reason other than to defy the law, those who enforce it, or those in positions of authority is treason. In the middle, dissent based on blind belief in what you're told by any media organization is plain old criminal stupidity.

EXAMPLES:

"I am against the war in Iraq because I don't like the idea of our men and women in the Armed Forces being killed for a people who have not exerted enough of their own time and effort to build a democratic government that they claim they want so badly." DISSENT

"I am against the war in Iraq because President Bush is for it and he's an idiot." TREASON

"I am against the war in Iraq because it's an illegal war being fought for oil." CRIMINAL STUPIDITY

See the differences?

• lc

I agree that it is each and every person's right to show dissent with their government. However, there is a difference and a lot of people who originally are just showing dissent, step into being treasonous without maybe knowing it.

Even though you maybe unhappy with certain things in your government doesn't make it o.k. to be scornful of your country, which ARE 2 different things.

• Doc

There is a HUGE difference between treason and dissent. Most leaning to the left here on Answers have more than crossed that line. They are seditious and slanderous to say the very least. Sadly, their words are read by those who are actually less intellegent and less informed around the world. Do you also argue in front of the kids or your employees? If you have a disagreement, be professional and take it behind closed doors. It becomes a matter of presenting a face of unity or one of disfunction. You feed our enemies with your words. To say that I am presenting a "If you're not with us you must be against us" attitude proves just how little you know of quality leadership. And, make no mistake about it, the U.S. leads the world.

Source(s): Retired Military, combat vet.. BA in History

I agree with you that "righties" should not be accusing someone of treason for expressing their opposition to this, that, or another war. But propagandizing is a double-edged sword and there are plenty of lefties who say dumb and malicious things about righties, too. Sometimes we can't but wonder whether it is just tit-for-tat.

Dissent is treason to the right

You are correct, it's our birthright. I have come to the conclusion that those who insist it is treason either weren't paying attention in history class or just simply aren't very bright.

we can. you are talking about right wing extremists. can't you discern us from them?

if dissent were unpatriotic, we'd be English citizens.

• Andrew

they actually CAN tell the difference... but the hive mind is powerful. these are people without conscience, having given theirs over to their leaders in their desire to be dominated by more powerful people. it is much easier to justify one's intolerance for differences if it is couched in the appearance of patriotism.

unfortunately for people like you and i, you know that this question (and any like it) will either be answered the way i answered it, or will once again be called treason.

see Doc's answer if you need an example of the right's with us or against us attitude.