gas or diesel trucks?

with todays gas and diesel pirces and you wore thinking about getting a truck wich one do you think would save you money in the long run i was always told diesel becouse it burns slower

but a frend of mine bought a brand new at the time 2000 chevy diesel i forgot the model and he has over 200thousend miles on it and the bigest thing he had to replace was the starter plus he did basic matines to it nothing else i was just wondering your guys is input on this thank you

Best Answer

I HAVE A 13 YR OLD DIESEL 7.3 LTR, THE MOST I HAVE HAD TO DO TO IT IS THE STARTER, TIRES, ALLGN IT EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE, & UPPER O/RINGS ON INJECTORS. ENG HAS 350000 MILES ON IT AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT BEING THAT OLD, SO ON AND SO FORTH I GET 25 MPG OUT OF IT, & IT IS PUSHING 38 INCH BFG ALL TERRAINS UNDER IT, W/A 6 INCH LIFT

The cost of purchasing a new diesel truck my shock you. You can expect to spend 10K more to get the diesel engine. Do a little math and figure out how many miles it will take to get a return on your investment.

A gas truck can run for well over 200K miles if the maintenance is performed correctly.

Driving habits can also be why you would choose between the two engines. Note: Diesel engines do not hold up long if constantly started and stopped.

• cimra

Diesel trucks will give you better mileage and last longer, but they cost more initially and the maintenance is not that cheap either, most take 3 gallons of oil in the crankcase, have various filters which are also more expensive. Do more research before you decide to to a diesel.

• gary o

Depends on your use. If short trips and never hauling anything a gas rig is better, but if you commute or take long trips or have to pull heavy loads the a diesel is the better choice. Consider getting a low mileage used one either gas or diesel to save $.

I'd go diesel,alot more torque for pulling a boat or fth wheel camper,and less fuel usege+ alot more miles before it's dead,shoot a desial can go 300,000 mi where gas could make it to mabey depending on how hard you drive it mabey 220,000 miles before thing act up.A freight train desel new gets serviced or is dead at 3,000,000 miles,check this out it's the bigest diesel in the world it's awsome.

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/diesel.html

I would tell you from my proffession that it is beter to get a diesel. It does burn slower but you may not see a difference in fuel economy. It burns slower and cleaner and last so much longer than gasoline trucks. You want either a dodge or chevy diesel.

It really depends on the year? the international diesel is ok with a turbo. but non turbo is worth less not to mention all the glow plug problems. the 6.0 diesel is trash. the newer POWERSMOKE is the best one. don't forget the major weight difference with the diesel and fuel price. Gas all the way...

good maintenance will make it last longer stop and go is not

for a diesel.. its made to run.. my 96 ford 150 with 300 inch 6 has 378,000 miles trouble free... 41 years of maintaining my own vehicle and every one of them has gone at least 300,000 miles... if its a toy to say hey guys look what I got forget it ..cost you 6 to 10 grand more to buy it and twice the money as a gas job to maintain it... fuel is 50cents min.higher than gas... do the math.......PS try using spell check next time

It depends on what your using the truck for.. If you are doing a large amount of towing diesel is better it has better torque and can handle a lot better.. Gas is a lot easier on fuel and their great for towing depending on the type of truck. If your towing a lot of stuff you are better off to use a diesel..

Source(s): Boyfriend is mechanic
  • nbr660

Diesel is the hot set up except in the winter with fuel jelling.

Source(s): Southern redneck from the states living in Canada,