the PF usage on task manager idles at 400 - 480?

is this normal? is there anything wrong with my computer?

• Gary
    Favorite Answer

Those #s seem OK. PF usage will start low & get larger until you restart, then it will return to the lower # range.

If you get messages that virtual memory is low, you can adjust it. Generally, you will want to set the minimum size to 1.5 times your physical memory. You can also specify a maximum size. Set the maximum size to the same size as the minimum. This will help speed things up.

To change the size of your paging file, right-click My Computer. Click Properties and select the Advanced tab. Under Performance, click Settings. Open the Advanced tab. Under Virtual memory, click Change.

Now, select the C: drive. Click Custom size and enter the minimum and maximum sizes. Click Set and OK. Click OK on the other open dialog boxes.

These seems like a reasonable value to me. Page File is simply hard disk space that the operating system treats as though it were RAM. On my computer, my PF usage right now is 1,241 MB. However, I have a 64-bit OS and 4 GiB of RAM, so I will naturally use more resources than say a laptop computer.