Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Photoshop Illustrator Mapping object round sphere?

Hi I have a vector image of australia and I want to make it look like it is wrapped around the earth (sphere). I am looking for a simple tutorial step by step on how to do this. If anyone can simplify the process that would be great as every tutorial I find is incredibly involved. I didn't think it would be so hard to achive something so minor.

Thanks!!

I understand where you are coming from. I have been using this technique. I am using CS3. However, I don't have the option to select graphic in the symbols options box and when I choose effect/3d/revolve I have so many options and the default is a cylinder looking object not a sphere so it is wrapping around a more tube like object and not a ball.

How can I fix this?

• Zach
    Favorite Answer

Update: Why don't you have the Graphic option in the Symbol Options box? Grayed out? If so, maybe use Live Trace on Australia or try rasterizing it.

To get a sphere in Effect/3D/Revolve you have to start out with a half circle. Ellipse tool, hold down Shift, Direct Selection Tool, delete one anchor point to create a half circle.

Effect/3D/Revolve, check Preview box, the Revolve angle should be 360. Offset should be 0 and try changing the "from" box from Left or Right Edge. You should be seeing a sphere, not a cylinder.

I think you'll need at least Illustrator CS2 to do this. It's fairly simple actually.

1. Place your image of Australia in your new file.

2. Open the Symbols panel.

3. Select and drag Australia into the Symbols panel.

4. Choose Graphic in the Symbols Options box.

5. Deselect Australia.

6. Select the Ellipse tool and draw a circle.

7. Click the Direct Selection Tool and select one point on the side of the circle. Press Delete to make the circle a half circle.

8. Choose No Fill for the fill color and select some color for the Stroke color.

9. Choose Effect/3D/Revolve and then check the Preview box.

10. Click Map Art in the 3D Options box.

11. Choose the Australia symbol in the Symbol box in the Map Art dialog box. Click the Preview box.

That should do it for you.

Are you going to be using your very own 'completed on the laptop' drawing and printing out the designs in 'ink' or in basic terms doing the designs, or what (consisting of making the tee-shirts)? what variety of 'photos' are you going to be using, and could there be ANY 'writing' or 'printing' on the tee shirts interior the 'photograph's section'? i comprehend ... yet those are the questions you are able to desire to comprehend the solutions to ... and one greater : Are you hoping to become a 'national enterprise' or do you in basic terms prefer to try this for relaxing, and perhaps sell some around the city the place you reside? My husband is a good artist (the type with photos in galleries and museums) and likewise a specialist internet developer, and the two certainly one of our computers have the two between the utility products you asked approximately ... the 'specialist' variations of each, too. each and each variety of utility has this is 'pluses' and this is 'minuses' and to do teeshirts on a countrywide point, i could get completely attentive to the two, which would be 'mixed' to make a strategies-blowing photograph ... yet whilst i become in basic terms a newborn and could make some relaxing teeshirst from my 'very own layout' then i could circulate with Illustrator first, because of the fact the 'drawing approaches' are a tiny bit greater handy than Photoshop and that they are quite the comparable interior the tip ... yet whilst i become 'someplace interior the midsection and ought to handle to pay for the 'specialist' version of Photoshop (it expenditures in basic terms over $4 hundred except you have an older one and prefer to 'improve' besides the undeniable fact that this is nevertheless the main costly ... this is a few distance greater beneficial than the old Corel Draw, and plenty greater beneficial than Illustrator in case you're a 'specialist artist' who can administration the lines with a mouse completely ... in any different case, although, Illustrator does not value as plenty, and is nearly as solid ... so start up there, and then get the Photoshop once you are able to handle to pay for to purchase it.