How to write a function that prints out odd number 1-10?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I need to create a function in php that will print out only odd numbers from 1-10

Anyone can help me with this?
Best Answer
you could use the old for loop which is not really best practise these days.... however the way I would do it is:

<?php

function PrintOdd($limit='0'){

$c = 1;
while($c <= $limit){
if ($i % 2!=0){
echo $c;
}
$c++;
}

}

?>

Source:

my brain
  • Comment

Other Answers (4)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • hagakure answered 7 years ago
    kirstie's got a pretty solid example but there are a few things awry with the code ...

firstly the $limit variable should be set to 10 instead of 0, probably just a type-o, no biggie except it would cause an infinte loop as no positive interger will ever be less than 0.
    Next the variable to run the modulus operation on is listed as $i, not sure where this came from, again probably just a type but will keep the function from running properly as $i is likely interpreted as NULL or 0.
    Lastly, there is no call for the function.
    So, good code just a few type-o's, i've done similar myself so no biggie. :) But this revision of her code should run smoother and output what you're looking for.

<?php

function PrintOdd($limit='10'){

$c = 1;
    while($c <= $limit){
    if ($c % 2!=0){
    echo $c . "
    \n";
    }
    $c++;
    }
    }

PrintOdd();

?>

p.s. if you like this as your best answer, please vote for kirstie instead as is her code, i just cleaned it up a little ... thanks :)

Source(s):

3+ years web development experience
    vote for kirstie :)
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • has_infoooo answered 7 years ago
    hi
    use this
    function print_odd()
    {
    for ($i=0;$i<=10;$i++)
    if ($i % 2!=0)
    echo $i;
    }
    bye for now
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jonathan C answered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure if this is valid in php or not, but in C++ you can use the operator '%' to return a true of false value when dividing a number based on whether it results in a integer or a float; thus, if the number divided results in a whole number it returns 0; if there is a remainder, it returns 1.

Honestly I am still learning code myself (and I don't know php), but I think the function would look something like this:

for (i =1; i <= 10; i++)
    {
    if ( i % 2 == 1)
    {
    print i;
    }
    }

That should repeat the 'for' loop through values 1 -> 10, and if 'i' divided by 2 results in a float (0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc) then the result of i%2 will be 1, thus printing i as a confirmed odd number. If it results in 0, it will repeat the process with the next increment of value i.

*edit*

I just tried this in C++ and it worked a charm, except that all the numbers were printed one after the other so it ended up with '13579'; that was easily fixed.

This is the C++ code:

for (int i =1; i <= 10; i++)
    {
    if ( i % 2 == 1)
    {
    std::cout << i << std::endl;
    // std::cout tells it to print what follows '<<', and std::endl tells it to start a new line.
    }
    }
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • superSymmetric answered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure how to do it in PHP, but in C#, there is a 'modulus' operator that returns only the remainder of integer division. So, basically, you create a loop, and try to divide the numbers 2 thru 10 by 2, and check to see if there is a remainder. If there is, it's an odd number - if not, it's even. The modulus operator in C# is the percent sign (%). You have to create a loop within a loop : the outside loop will count from 2 to 10 (you assume that it is known that 1 is an odd number), and the inside loop will count from 2 to (the number the outside loop is at). Give this a try, and if you still need help, just post more details, ok? Good luck!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block