Dr D
Lv 7
Dr D asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

CHALLENGE: Prove that Σ k * C[M,k] * C[(N-M),(n-k)] / C[N,n] = M*n/N?

Can anyone prove the following statement? (or falsify it if you don’t believe it?)

b

Σ k * C[M,k] * C[(N-M),(n-k)] / C[N,n] = M*n/N

k=a

a = max (0, n+M-N)

b = min (n, M)

N, M and n are any positive integral constants satisfying

N ≥ M, n (Є Z+)

k (not n) is the index variable.

C[i,j] = iCj = i!/[j!(i-j)!]

NOTE: The limits of the summation, a and b, are only intended to make the nCr function meaningful. k would normally go from 0 to n, but k must never exceed M, and n-k must never exceed N-M.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Duke
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I saw a similar Dr D's question yesterday.

The notation below is the same as in the question.

Imagine you have urn with N balls (M white, N - M black) and You draw (either SIMULTANEOUSLY or one by one WITHOUT replacements) n of them at random /M, N, n satisfying the conditions in the question/; then the probability P(k) in the extraction to be exactly k white and n-k black is given by the well-known hyper-geometric formula:

P(k) = C[M,k] * C[(N-M),(n-k)] / C[N,n], /numerator - favorable cases to select k out of M white and n-k out of N-M black; denominator - possible cases to draw n out of N/.

Consider X - the random number of the white balls drawn,

a ≤ X ≤ b. This random variable has hyper-geometric distribution, whose mathematical expectancy by definition is the following sum, where a ≤ k ≤ b:

EX = Σ k * C[M,k] * C[(N-M),(n-k)] / C[N,n] = n*p = n*M/N, where p = M/N can be interpreted as a probability to draw a white ball ON THE 1st TRY; if You follow the usual agreement that C[p,q] = 0 when p<q then you can take the sum from 0 to n. That can be proved several ways, the easiest is by using generating functions /F(x) = ΣP(k)*x^k in our case/, the proof can be found in many books, I'll not reproduce it here, I only wished to show that the desired result is in essence obtaining of hyper-geometric distribution's mean value.

P.S. Please compare with my answer to Your yesterday question also.

P.S.(2) Once having linked Your problem with the calculation of the hyper-geometric distribution mean, even more easier approach than using generating functions to do the latter is demonstrated in jw's nice answer to Your yesterday question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.