How easy is it to rollover an SUV?

I've been driving a '95 Saturn SC2 coupe for about 9 years, and recently aquired a hand-me-down '02 Mazda Tribute, a compact SUV. After driving such a low-riding car for several years and now switching to a higher SUV, I'm wondering how easy it would be to flip it over, such as in a turn. You hear about this all the time, and the media makes it seem like you have to be extra extra careful or your vehicle will topple. During a crash, whether or not it will flip is out of your hands, but what about during normal driving? Is there a general rule to follow, such as when taking curves or corners? I believe I'm a safe driver as it is, but I still want to get some feedback on the capabilities of these types of vehicles. Thank you in advance for the help.

Favorite Answer

Obviously SUV's are more prone to flipping due to the added height and center of Gravity. The difference between flipping and not flipping the vehicle is design, and realizing you have to drive differently with a SUV. People who have flipped SUV's tended to still drive them like a car, and not for what they are. If you turn erratically to the left and then immediately to the right, you can roll the vehicle because of weight and balance. This is why you need to learn to drive the vehicle like a TRUCK and not a car. Yes you have to take turns slower then a car. Overall, they are very safe and are great to drive.

Any higher profile vehicle will be easier to roll over than a low profile one. You just have to drive a bit slower, don't follow so closely. I have a Caviler and a Toyota pick up with a 4 inch lift kit. In the local mountains where I drive both vehicles all the time I can take corners at 60 mph with the Caviler while with the pick up I won't go over 45 mph. You'll get a feel for it.

If you're really worried look into improving the suspension with heavier springs and better shocks. Install heavier anti-sway bars too.

IVE read that this has changed and that many suv's are as safe as cars or better. I wasnt around to see the entire news program though unfortunetly.

maintain proper tire pressure and you will have better luck. the tires will slide before you flip.