Question for Law Students (1L)?

Hello. This question goes to law students in their 1st year.

1. How many hrs do you study outside classroom everyday? What about weekends?

2. If anyone studies more than 8 hrs/day, how do you manage to sit still for 8 hrs? I don't feel well sitting in constant motion for 2 or 3 hrs straight. I sometimes would rather stand up and study.

3. How many hrs of sleep do you get per day? What would you recommend for person who can't drink coffee to resist the urge to sleep?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Favorite Answer

____________

When you study, you will be rewriting/reorganizing your class notes, reading and reviewing cases, and writing your own case synthesis. You may also be doing research and writing for a legal writing class.

It is reasonable to study six hours per weekday, and— occasionally—up eight or ten hours on any given Saturday or Sunday.

In general, you need to engage in activities other than studying in order to be sufficiently refreshed and stimulated; leisure and recreation help you maintain wholesome and well-balanced attitude, motivation, and energy levels.

It is unwise and counter-productive to study for any prolonged period of time without taking sensible breaks. Your concentration and physical endurance progressively degrade after approximately 2 ½ hours.

Develop the habit of moving away from the immediate study area. Either relax or do something totally unrelated to studying. Once you subsequently resume your studies, you will be energized and focused. Your studying will be more effective and efficient if you allow your brain and body the time for re-energizing.

You should sleep approximately eight hours each night. When you sleep, your brain goes through various cycles. Each sleep cycle accomplishes different tasks, i.e., establishing and organizing both short-term and long-term memory circuits, celluar repair, etc..

Your body needs enough time to sufficiently iterate through each sleep cycle—in order for it to recuperate and refresh after a long day's activities. Considering that you will be constantly exposed to a great deal of new and complex material over a long period of time, adequate sleep should always be a priority.

______________________

TIPS

1) I strongly recommend that you also join a study group that meets at least once a week. Each member can share her/his own take on the class material. You teach each and help reinforce important concepts. Moreover, study groups help give you motivation, along with a reality check on just how well your understanding and grasp of the class material is progressing.

2) Check out a great book on case synthesis called "The Bramble Bush", by Carl Llewellyn. He was a great jurisprudential scholar who wrote the quintessential book on briefing cases. He wrote it as an introduction to law students. You will develop a great understanding and appreciation of the Socratic method, and better learn how to think like a great lawyer.

Book reviews (The Bramble Bush):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/...

You owe it to yourself to—at least—google "Bramble Bush." I guarantee you that your reading this book will be one of the best decision you ever made. The book itself is not many pages; however, it is extremely condensed, and chock full of clear and concise explanations and on-point examples. Remember, the more knowledge and experience that you take into a given situation, the more you will get out of it.

EDIT:

I also recommend that you do engage in some sort of physical exercise program (three or four hour a week). I supplemented my yoga exercises with meditation periods; this combination helped conditioned my body and my mind. Over time, I developed more stamina, resilience, and

better concentration.

Good luck, and may the force be with you. ☺

____________

1. As I recall, for every 1 hour one spends in the classroom, one should spend 2-3 hours studying.

3. Never studied more than 8 hours a day. I learned that I would forget things I had studied earlier that day.

3. 8 hours of sleep per day. It won't help to fall asleep when taking an exam. If you can't drink coffee, why not try soda? I wouldn't go with any of those energy drinks (too much caffeine).