Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Diet Soda vs Regular?

I am trying really really hard to switch from regular soda to diet to cut calories. (I still need the caffeine, though I'm working on that too).

So why is diet pop soooo gross?? I can't stomach diet Dr Pepper or diet Mt Dew. Though the Walmart brand of Diet Sams Soda doesn't seem too bad as long as I put lots of ice in it. Does anyone else have this problem? Anybody found a good "diet" soda?? Or at least a tasty substitute??

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I had too switch because my doctor said my triglycerides were waaaayyyyyyyyyyy too high and I needed to cut down my carb intake, so, out with the sugar drinks, and desserts. That doctor was putting his life in my hands with that recommendation since I had been a bicycle racer among other things, and carbs were essential to my success, so to change to diet drinks was truly a killer. But, I did, and now, as "ideaguy83" says, I can't stand the syrupy taste of the "original" drinks anymore. Also, as "danielb" says, "Water, water, water . . ." is the best course for both cutting back calories and carbs, and as an avid bicycle racer and long distance runner, I can guarantee you that water is the one single liquid that will quench your thirst faster than anything else, bar none! If you want caffeine, as I do, then you can work that in through your diet drinks, or a good cup of coffee, or two or three, etc.. At this time of year you want to make sure you drink enough water just to keep safe. I drink a LOT of iced tea with splenda for sweetener, AND a good dose of REAL lemon and lime, as opposed to the artificial stuff, to "spice it up". The transition may be tough, as I explicitly told my doctor at my next visit. I will also add that in that time period I lost 25 pounds and dropped my triglycerides by 75% and my cholesterol down to below the "bad" range. Oh, and my doctor told me that triglycerides convert into cholesterol when not used up or lessened, so since carbs / sugars are where triglycerides come from, and triglycerides are one source of cholesterol, you'll have an added incentive, maybe, to switch to sugar free drinks. I did it, and that was a humongous accomplishment. You can do it too, no matter how bad it feels. God Bless you.

I love Diet Pepsi, but then again I have been drinking diet for 10 years. I remember when I started drinking diet I would limit myself to 1 regular soda a week and after a while the regular soda tasted really gross to me. until then try sodas like coke zero or cherry coke zero still have the caffeine and they use splenda I do believe. You could also try making and iced coffee with skim milk and splenda no fat no calories.

• Mary

The ONLY difference between diet soda and regular is the presence of artificial sweeteners versus sugar. Artificial sweeteners can be bad for you in large amounts, but it's very, very, very difficult to reach those daily limits. I've been diabetic most of my life and have consumed probably 1-3 cans of diet soda most days and I'm perfectly healthy. And it does not cause diabetes or obesity. First, diabetes is a genetic disease and nothing you eat will "cause" it. As for the obesity link, that's not due to drinking diet soda directly. A lot of people who drink diet soda feel they can eat a little extra due to the 0 calories, and THAT causes the weight gain. As for the person who said that diet soda raises your blood sugar...the only thing that can raise your blood sugar is carbohydrates. Chemicals cannot raise blood sugar levels at all.

Honestly just go at the diet soda for a couple weeks and don't drink the original. Nobody enjoys the flavor when they first taste it because our tongues aren't made for aspertame or cyclamates.

I hated diet pepsi and diet coke all of my life until I made myself start drinking it due to blood sugar issues. Now I love it and can't deal with the syrupy mouthfeel of the originals. You'll adjust and develop a taste for it. A hint for many artificially sweetened products it to add a small splash of lemon juice, it can take the edge off the super-sweetness or bitter aftertaste.

I love Pepsi One and Coke Zero, and all the Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke variants---lemon, lime, cherry, etc. Pepsi 'Jazz' is also very nice--caramel or strawberry or black cherry flavor.

I used to love real Coke, 'classic' Coke, and I couldn't stand anything else. Then I was diagnosed as diabetic and I had to stop drinking the sugary sodas. After a while I found my tastes had changed and the diet stuff just tasted better! Regular Diet Coke used to taste watery and blechh to me but now it tastes okay (but I like Coke Zero MUCH better!)

• Water water water. If youare trying to cut calories, cut the soda alltogether. I know it is hard, I used to get the jitters when I abandoned carbonated drinks, but it was the best decision ever, I lost 20 lbs on cutting soda alone. I do not believe in the SweetNLow, Equal, or Splenda crap. I read a study that condemns Splenda because even though itis made naturally, the particles are so small that we do not know how our kidneys will respond to it. Diabetes and renal failure could come from using these supplements too.

Water water water

Diet coke. It tastes like the original coke formula from 40 years ago. Its got lots of caffeine. No calories.

Diet soda can cause you to go blind damage your brain take protein from your bones stunt your growth give you cancer retain fat cells get seizures and many other things so diet is worse

I can't stand diet soda. I can taste the artificial sweetener in all of them. So, I said screw it, and limit myself to one soda a day. I drink water or unsweetened tea the other times.

i hated it too when i was trying to cut calories. but i aquired a taste for it. i got used to it, and not its all i like to drink. try cherry, or vanilla coke Zero. they taste like real soda, have no calories, and aren't called 'diet'. hehe. good luck!