What kinds of diseases can you get from using a public restroom?
I've always heard that you can catch diseases from sitting on public toilets but no one has ever told me what kind you can get.
So I'm curious what kind of diseases have people gotten from using public restrooms?
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
You'd have a better chance of being hit by lightning. It's almost impossible to catch any kind of disease from a toilet, for the following reasons:
1. Infections don't live long outside the body...they need a host. Toilet seats are bad hosts.
2. They need warm wet areas to live.
3. Most infections enter the body through breaks in the skin or openings...
4. Even though your anus is an opening the intestines is a hostile enviroment for infection
5. You don't sit there long enough
You CAN get skin infections...I got one. They're not deadly, just annoying.Source(s): paramedic
- RemoLv 41 decade ago
I can only think of three illnesses.
Vulnerable individual may develop flu like symptoms after resting in a public rest room for a period of time.
If, the public room allows smoking(not common), then you are going to be a passive smoker.
Some people may feel dizzy if, the public room is not properly ventilated.
Very commonly, people suffer skin rashes after using the public facilities.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Most people say that you can catch STD's from toliets. That is a semi myth. You would have to come into contact with an infected persons sexual body fluids, and put them into you, within a matter of minutes from the original person.
There is the posiblity of crabs are possibly an infectious disease.
I highly recommend cleaning the lid of the toliet.
- TaraLv 41 decade ago
mad butt disease