What are the steps to becoming Presisent of the United States?

I'm doing an expository essay on this topic. I need to research the steps to become president. Websites would be a really great help.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

to become president of the united states you need to be a native born US citizen over the age of 35 and win a majority of votes in the electoral college, that is all you need according to the constitution. in this day and age of a two party system you need to win enough primary elections to win your party before going on to the general election. to do this you need LOTS of money generally the only people who can afford to run are those who are independently wealthy so that they can sink some of thier own money into the campaign. getting a lot of contributions helps too (the largest ones come from corporations usually, and also usually in exchange for a promise on some policy or another).

the tricky part is winning the electoral college, the United States is not a Democracy it is a Republic, it does not elect the president by the majority of the popular vote (if we did, Al Gore would be president). The founding fathers distrusted the masses and did not want the large cities dictating who was president of the whole country, so they devised the most unique system in the world, the electoral college.

Each state recieves the same number of votes as they have members in congress (house and senate), for example i live in Oregon, and we have 6 representatives in the house, and two senators so we have 8 electoral votes. Washington DC is also granted the same number of votes as the least populated state (3). when you vote for president you are actually voting for electors who will then cast votes in the college for that candidate. These electors are now required by law to vote for the candidate who wins that state, as there have been 'faithless electors' people who have voted for who they want, usually as a statement regardless of the outcome of the election, fortunatly these have never changed the result of an election (most recent example, 1976, one elector cast his vote for Ronald Reagan although Reagan had been defeated in the primary by Gerald Ford who was the incumbent president at the time). if you can get a majority of votes here, you are the president, if no candidate does this, then the vote goes to the senate (last example of this is Thomas Jefferson).

thats pretty much it

Source(s): United States constitution
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I hate to be cynical since I know you want good answers. Many years ago we had a good system, and it worked. Even those who were poor could attain the Presidency. Nowadays things are really messed up. In order to become President nowadays it seems as if you have to be willing to cheat and lie and steal, and to compromise your inner beliefs, and to promise to pay for votes, and to reward those who give you money to run campaigns. I do wish you the very best with your essay......perhaps others will be more helpful to you. Too bad we older folks have left such a mess for you young people. We just did not know what was going on at the time this all started. Maybe you younger folks can help to clean up the mess!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First of all you need to be rich and I mean a multi-millionaire. Next you need to make lots of off the record promises to enough influential people in industry and the media. It's always good to get Rupert Murdoch on your side for example.

That's it really.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Becoming a White Male Protestant being born in America

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

despite what people say, you dont need to be rich white or a man. just look at the people running this year. you need to have gone to college, probably studying law and poli-sci. alot of pollititions start as lawers. you need to start with local government, and work your way up. your need, i would say, at least five years at a high level in politics, maybe in the senate or the house of representatives. you don't need money if your with a party, such as democrats, or republicans. their campaign party will sponsor you.

• 1 decade ago

You need to have a rich old man or a wife whose money you can use to win any election and buy the publics love.

• Nicki
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Just take a look at what you have now and you can write your essay and it will win prizes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never work a day in your life and have a lobotomy.

• Maka
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

1st. we go to school and learn how to spell.

I give you an F in spelling

• Kiss alot of babies & be 35 or older

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.