promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is going on with pakistan?

I know all about Iraq/afghanistan but i don't know anything about the situation in pakistan! it seems there isn't much media coverage on it (well, to me anyways) i heard there's a war going on there too?? what is that about?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For a little history: Pakistan was created after the British left India. As with the Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq today, the Hindus and Muslims in India began warring with each other after Gandhi foolishly chased the British out. 500,000 people were killed, and Pakistan was formed as a separate country, so that the muslims could have a home. Since that time, India and Pakistan have gone to war three times, and now they have nuclear weapons pointed at each other. There are regular terrorist attacks in Pakistan and India.

Pakistan is run by General Musharraf, who took power in a coup. To keep closer ties with the west, Musharraf has agreed to abide by the constitution, which says Pakistan must have free elections. Musharraf is trying to build a coalition with former Pakistani leaders, now living in exile, to keep power and prevent the country from being overrun by radical muslims--either violently overrun by a revolution, or peacebly overrun by the ballot.

The radical muslims, which favor Bin Laden and the Taliban, could gain power in Pakistan. If that happened, they would not only have a strong country to export terrorism from, but they would also gain access to a small stockpile of nuclear weapons and missiles. Along with Iran, this is one of the most dangerous threats to the US and the West.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It appears they are getting their exiled female Prime Minister, Bhutto, back. That will be great for the US. Middle Eastern countries need to involve females more in their government.

• 1 decade ago

I THINK ITS MOSTLY LIKE IRAQ. IM SURE THERE IS A WAR.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

changing of the guard.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.