when i press the power button of my comuter to ON it the flash light of H.D becomes bright but immediatly off?

when i press the power button of my computer to switch on it the flash light of the hard drive becomes bright for a second and then immediatly computer switched off.i have checked all the cables are fitted properly.is it a mother board or any hardware problem.please help

Favorite Answer

sounds like the psu may be bad ... try unplugging it from the wall for 1 minuet then replug it ....

If I understand you well, when you press the power button, your computer goes on for a brief moment, and then shuts down again.

There are several possibilities for this:

- The most likely one is the power supply.

- It can also be the processor. That symptom is often caused by a dead processor; particularly some AMD ones.

- Of course, it can also be the motherboard.

- A faulty add-on card (like a modem, network card or video card) can also cause this.

- It's unlikely that this is caused by a bad memory. It "could" be, but its' not common.

- And no, it's not a virus. That's just silly. A virus is a "program" (in a way), so it can only run when the operating system is active. There are allegedly some viruses than can damage your BIOS; but most are urban legends.

If you are not experienced repairing computers, you better take it to a good repair shop. It takes several things to diagnose this behavior.

If you are willing to try some things; you could attempt to find if the problem is caused by a card by removing any cards (modem, video, etc) and trying to turn on your PC. (Remember that before removing or even opening your PC, you should unplug it from the electrical outlet.)

You can also try another power supply, if you can get hold of one. But for everything else, you need an experienced tech to diagnose the problem.

Good luck.

Source(s): I own a computers shop and I do repairing and maintenance.
  • s j

Unplug the hard drive power and motherboard connection and see if you can at least get into bios. You don't need a hard drive hooked up to go into bios. If it does the same thing with the hard drive disconnected try a different power supply. Also make sure your cpu fan is turning upon start up because some boards will shut right down if the cpu fan isn't turning or is unplugged or running at too low a speed. One issue you may have is a cpu that is overheating because that will shut the puter right down. Do not keep turning your puter back on over and over again right after it shuts down because if the cpu is overheating you will fry it.

I also experienced the same problem.

It could be caused by many reasons:

1-Your computer may have a lethal virus! Some viruses are very powerful, like the so-well-known blue screen, it may be similar.

2-Maybe you have too many cables connected, and there isn't enough power to start your computer, only after many tries.

3-You may have an internal error from inside your computer, for example, your hard drive may had been disconnected due to something, like if you droped your pc (awfull) or something.

My problem was because I had too many cables connected at once, what I did id that I bought a... I don't know what its called, but its a box were you can connect lots of things at once.

Ok, HD stands for hard drive, so i can immediately tell you that the hard drive is not responding.

Load up the comp and hoping it gets on to the first screen you will then need to talk to some one who can deal with your specific system make.

If it doesnt even attempt to load then it's either R.I.P or pray that a repair shop will sort it :)

sorry i cant help more!

Not sure I quite understand the question, but my guess would be the power supply. If it makes a beeping noise, it could be bad ram.