promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why can't Bill Clinton run as Vice President alongside Hillary?

I need a specific, in depth explanation here. I'm very familiar with the Constitution, and I can't seem to find where it does not allow his running, although I did find restrictions on his terms as President.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There was a law passed after Bobby Kennedy was Attorney General to his brother being President of the United States.

Family members/spouses cannot serve in the same administration.

But... he can be asked to be a goodwill ambassador to build back relations with other countries which would be a non offical position.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The Twenty-Second Amendment limits the number of years someone can be President.

It limits it to two elections won OR two elections won + less than two years serving as President after taking over for the previous President.

The relationship between the 22nd Amendment and the 12th Amendment is disputed. The 12th Amendment states that only people eligible to be President can be Vice President.

Some people say that the 12th Amendment speaks only about who is qualified to SERVE as President and VP, while the 22nd Amendment only talks about who is qualified for ELECTION to President and Vice President.

Article II of the Constitution sets the qualifications for the President (residence, citizenship, and age), and the Twelfth Amendment states that no one may be eligible for VP if they are not eligible for President.

Some interpret the above to mean that a former President can't serve in any capacity that's in the line for Presidential succession...but others say they can serve in that office but just can't succeed to President.

So there you have it. Some people say that the one amendment limits the other, some people say they don't.

It is a question that, while it has been theorized, has never been decided in the Courts or settled practically. I hope that Bill Clinton doesn't run as VP...mostly because a case like that could cause a little bit of a Constitutional Crisis (not a big one, but one nonetheless) or just take YEARS before it was settled and it would be time to gear up for the next Presidential election.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obviously I am voting for Obama, but the 'hypothetical' and lesson in Constitutional ethics is as follows, that if:

"If" Mrs. Bill Clinton would be the victor in the primary, it sounds like someone considered her husband as her running mate. And, she inferred that he has already looked into this and knows he can not run on the ticket with her.

###

My understanding of the Constitution of the United States is:

President or Vice President is president, when it comes to a past president who served two terms, and is eager to run for the V.P. seat.

A president elected over a two term success has exhausted his right under the constitution to work in that capacity again.

Example: If the president is taken ill, and the V.P. in office has served a two year term as a prior president, the V.P. could not under the constitution be the interim president while the president took ill (because he has served a two year term as president, and can not serve in that capacity again) - which renders the V.P. useless to the office in case of an emergency.

Source(s): -Mrs. Bill Clinton on the Letterman Show - August 30, 2007 -Constitution of the United States
  • 1 decade ago

Total points: 9,261 (Level 5)

Points earned this week:

6% Best answer

3207 answers

How_Would_I_Know

He can run. You cannot be elected as PRESIDENT more than twice. It says nothing about vice president. He could also serve if something happens to the president.

But he's done more than enough damage to this country.. let somebody else try.

HAHAHA funny. Bush has this country so missed up that it will take Sentries to clean up....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

America would implode if that self aggrandizing woman chaser was vice president

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He can run. You cannot be elected as PRESIDENT more than twice. It says nothing about vice president. He could also serve if something happens to the president.

But he's done more than enough damage to this country.. let somebody else try.

• 1 decade ago

I haven't found a real reason yet.

Just a funny suggestion: not enough cigars if the pair won?

• 1 decade ago

He can run for VP (God forbid) but not Prez. Thank God for term limitations!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wish he would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.