Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What do think of the fact that 20% of americans cannot point to the USA on a map?

In an article in 'The Week' magazine Miss Teen South Carolina was asked that very question. Her eloquent answer was " I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and , uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the US should help the US, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we'll be able to build up our future for us"

Now if anybody out there can translate I would gratefully to find what she was talking about.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Atrocious. Simply atrocious. This is an example of why the rest of the world has such a low opinion of American society. American popular culture is full of stupidity. That is not to say that everyone in America is stupid, but that the popular cultures seems devoid of intelligence.

• 1 decade ago

I think Miss South Carolina was extremely nervous when she heard the question. I think she was starting out okay, but her answer went downhill after the second "uh."

As for the question asked by the judge during the pageant, I think that it may or may not be true that 20% of our population cannot point to the USA on a map. You have to take into account how this percentage was achieved. Was it a poll of grade-school citizens, a mixture of recent immigrants and and citizens, a random polling of only 1,000 people, etc? You can take any sort of sampling to come up with that percentage.

The bottom line is that the people in this country have to be better educated.

• 1 decade ago

It's sad if true, and I wonder what demographic was in the study and how many participants. Statistics can be BS if sampled incompletely. As far as Miss Teen SC, she was a young girl standing in front of thousands, put on the spot. Even when she was answering you could see the panic in her eyes, see that she knew she was screwing up. But hey, use her as the standard for all teens in the US, that's scientific.

• 1 decade ago

Don't believe everything you hear. Lots of people get a real kick out of saying they don't know something when asked, or answering in a way opposite to what they really think.

In college I had friends that would participate in polls just to mess up the outcome.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I won't attempt to comment on Miss Teen South Carolina's comments as I do not speak teenage girl.

As for 20% of Americans can't point to the USA on a map, the fact is that probably 20% of the world can't point out their country. Some people don't want to be educated and learn anything and some don't get the opportunity to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a sad commentary. Didn't a recent report rank South Carolina as #50 for education? (Maybe I misheard this somewhere)

• 1 decade ago

she obviously had a speach prepared about Iraq and South Africa and tryed to fit it in when she was caught off guard.Show her globe and she would probably think it's Mars!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whoa! What? Yeah, I'm going to need a translator too.

• 1 decade ago

There is definitely a failure in our educational system ....specifically in whatever hick town she grew up in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OH MY GOD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA'S EDUCATION SYSTEM???

BUT, I STILL THINK IT IS FUNNY THOUGH.... hahahahahahha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.