klp asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

If I've painted over wallpaper with Killz, can the paper still be removed?

I thought I was priming b/c the paper was right on the wallboard...turns out I was wrong. Now I'm wondering if I can still get the paper off before I go any further??

Favorite Answer

If you perforate the paper with a tool made just for doing that, sold at most hardware stores. Its just a matter of getting moisture to the old paste.

It is possible to strip wallpaper that has been painted, but it is harder. There is a tool that should be available at your local paint store that perforates through the paint allowing water to penetrate and loosen the paper from the Plaster or Sheetrock. This tool will make it a little easier.

Use the tool or score the paint. Then let it soak with warm water. Do small sections at a time and the paper will peal off. It is a slow process and you need to be careful not to pull the paper off the Sheetrock or make gouges in the plaster wall. ( Which you probably will.)

It is a tedious job. Just take your time.

Good Luck

yes use a scoring tool like the tiger tool and a gel type wall paper remover and FOLLOW the instructions it will take some time and maybe two to three coats but it will come off

Source(s): been in home construction and remolding for about 12 years

Yes you can use a scoring tool like paper tiger that you can get at any store and then use DIFF to help loosen the glue.

Yes, you will need to soak the glue off, and scrub the wall too, then you need to re-prime the wall befor painting.

yes, its just primer for paint. Use a putty knife and scrape some of it to get started. If you dont have one use a spatchula! If all else fails get it wet and let soak and then try scraping and peeling.

Good luck

Sure you can, just treat like any other wall paper removal.