Do you think R. Kelly's music has lost it's "soul". In comparison to the music he made back in the day?

Listening to his music back in the 90s I can remember getting "lost" in his songs. Although explicit, they were very beautiful and romantic. Now however his music seems to revolve around partying and exploiting women. I miss the "original" R. What do you think?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

R. Kelly, as old as he is, is cashing in on the ghetto mentality of today's youth. If he were to actually make music for his age bracket, 40 on up, R. Kelly would take himself even higher. I think his music back in the 90's made a little more sense lyrically (though not all of them). I think he's being lazy and not writing any thing of substance and just looking to sell records. What a waste!

• 1 decade ago

Yeah maybe it has changed but it is 2007, not the 90s and no matter how much different I will keep listening.

• 1 decade ago

I'm agree with U B-cause,I'm a fan of R.Kelly,I like the 90's songs too but nowadays His song worth worth nothing.

• 1 decade ago

R. Kelly is still the man as long as he doesn't pee on me. As for his music he has just grown as an artist and moved with the times. Step in the name of love is my joint

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

kells hasn't changed at all...it's his outer appearance you people see. if you actually buy his cd's (i own them all) you will see that he has not lost any of his soul, he just put it on the backburner to build his income...so of course his singles are going to be about flirting and messing with the same girl, but if you stop skimming through cd's and listen to them all you'll see he still has it...r. kelly has always exploited woman, lol

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Exploiting women is cool with me.

But the thing about every song being about "the club this & that" is getting kinda old.

Yeah I like his older stuff better.

• 1 decade ago

I like the older material as well, he still has it but I don't like the thug image at all. I think he should have just continued to do what he was doing, and writing and producing other artists. He is ahead of his time but the scandal did not help him at help.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, R, has changed. It seems he has turned in to some type of "thug" or "player." His song is not like they used to be. They don't hold any type of depth or make you think. He's changed a lot but he used to be wayyyyy better than this.

• 1 decade ago

Yes his music is not as soulful now, but he is just adjusting to the times.

• --
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yea i agree with...back in the 90s i really liked his music but now he's just like all the other rap singers...with the same clothes and stupid video clips

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.