Cardinals Rotation?

When Mark Mulder comes back who should he replace in the staring rotation? Will Mike Maroth start this year? or will he be sent to the bulpen when and if he returns? Kip Wells and Reyes have both put up good numbers as of late, will be a tough desicion. What you think?

Favorite Answer

When Maroth comes back, I seriously doubt that he'll be considered for a starting spot simply because he has been very ineffective this season (0-4 with an 11.08 ERA). I also don't see Reyes going to the bullpen because they have done everything they can in the past three seasons to avoid putting him in the bullpen. Pinero, Looper, Wells and Wainwright have all been pitching very well also.

Knowing how LaRussa likes to mix things up and be unconventional at times (ex. batting the pitcher 8th), I almost wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a six man rotation in September because of the number of games they have to play (31 in 30 days). It's also going to depend on how effective Mulder is. If he's not pitching well, he may be the one in the bullpen.

I think Tony will run a five man rotation for 2 weeks. Then he will then make a decision. By that time they will know about their playoff chances. Mike Maroth is bullpen bound until next season. Im sure in spring training he will be the next Duncan project. Kip Wells and Reyes both will be gone next season . But for now they will stay in the rotation and try to build their contract values higher.

Reyes goes to the bullpen.

mulder will be 6th

reyes, wainwrigth, looper, wells, maroth!