Wireless connection problems - Local access only, not internet?

I've just bought a new laptop that has Vista as the OS system. I have a BT Hub that I connect to, but everytime I try and access the internet it comes up with an error. However, my desktop PC, PS3 is fine when accessing the web?!.

Looking on the connection settings and network it's only down as Local access only. It connects to the hub but not the web. I do a diagnose option and Windows corrects it, only sometimes though, so it shows Local Access and Internet. I've tried turning off the hub, looking in settings but can't seem to solve it without having to go through various window options to resolve it. It should connect automatically, right?

The only thing I've done on it so far is to uninstall Norton and download AVG - could this be why it's not connecting? Any help would be great - cheers!

Favorite Answer

We had the same problem. The best advice I can give you is to call BT and speak to someone tin there technical service department. They sorted our wireless network out in a couple of min. They are really help full

The AVG should have no effect on the connection ability. Am running AVG and Vista on several computers with no problems. When you get a connection, go to makers web site and see if there is an update to the network driver. Some systems were pushed out without correct interfaces for Vista.

1) the reason for the "cable is unpugged" message is that youhave your ethernet connection enabled. If the message bothers you, disable the connection. Otherwise ignore the message. (You know that you're using a wireless connection, so there's no cable plugged into the ethernet jack, so the message is a bit unneeded.) 2) Talk to the IT people - the possible reasons for your problems (and you most likely have 2 separate problems) are too numerous to diagnose over a medium like this.

You need to uninstall any BT software you have loaded, it seriously interferes with other wireless software. Use the machine wireless card's utility to search for the hub, set your encryption and connect.

If you manage to resolve this please let ME know :-)

I WAS connected fine for 3 days but today I have the very same prob you describe and being a total technophobe I didnt understand a bit of the article posted above :-(

Nothing is wrong with your computer.I think you need wifi device,not blue tooth.blue tooth only a wireless device that connect to another device with blue tooth (like another laptop),to send and transfer data .I've never seen anybody using bluetooth to connect to internet.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns...

This has to do with a tunneling problem in Vista, I had the same problem, check out the link, it worked for me.