1. As required by law (statute, regulation, court order)
2. For public health activities
3. Regarding victims of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence
4. Health oversite activities (like audits)
5. Judicial and Administrative Procedings
6. Law enforcement purposes.
8. To facilitate cause of death, etc
9. To aid in tissue/organ donation
11. Serious threat to health or safety (of the individual or the public)
12. Essential Government functions.
13. Worker's Compensation
Disclosures are also permitted to the individual at their request, and the usual, everyday purposes of treatment, payment, and health care operations.
Also permitted are incidental disclosures.
Generally, the law (HIPPA) did not limit the disclosure of information that much, but did make clear the amazing number of disclosures that are legal.
The one prohibited disclosure that is strictly enforced is disclosures to people like spouses, unless they have medical power of attorney.