Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Recruitement bonus?

Do you feel the boneses the military is handing out will increase the enlisment? Would you enlist with or withou the bonus?

Favorite Answer

i think the bonuses will help but i also believe once a soldier understand how bonuses work they would be pissed off, like right now the army is giving 20 thousand dollar bonuses but the way it works out is you get 5 grand for each year and it is taxed twice the first year you get part of your bonus in the 1st 6 months taxed then the end of the next 6 months the other half is taxed again considering millitary pay one wouldnt notice it right away because pay is shiddy so it is nice to get something but maybe into your 2nd or 3rd year you start wondering where is that 20 grand then some s-4 payroll officer tells you the breakdown of your money and how out of 20 grand you will actually be recieving something like 14 grand lol, im glad it never happened to me i took the mgib and acf which totaled 50 grand and waived my right to any bonus within my first two tours lucky me lol 50 geess of untaxable money over 20 gees of taxable cash? im glad they still teach math in school lol

I really can not say if that would be a factor because I am not in that situation. Now if I was 18-21 I would give it some serious thought esp if I felt that I need to full a purpose, I was 19 when I enlisted in the Navy back in 1978 I did my 3 yrs got out and went into the reserves for a yr went back in and got a retirement out of it. So there much more reasons for joining than $$$ if that is your main reason good luck because now you have named your price. As for all of you SMART people who seem to know everything about the service but yet have NEVER worn the uniform get off it already let some one who feels they need a direction and purpose with there life do something constructive and build some pride and charetier now if they don't like then get out when your time is done that simple. You be surprised on how you will learn to count on your self in real time situations that will make you a better person later on.

The only effect is that people who were on the fence about joining might be tipped to the side of enlisting and some people who were considering the Air Force and Navy might switch.

The money's just not that much. Half after boot camp, minus taxes, and the other half pro-rated over the next 4 years.

Source(s): Retired Chief Petty Officer

I have reenlisted 4 times. Only one time did I get a bonus and I didn't know I had one until I already submitted my package. Some do it just for the money, so I think the bonus will help. Some look at the bonus as just something extra but not as an incentive.

Source(s): USMC

Enlistments have already gone up because of these bonuses. It's sad that our government is basically baiting people into quick deployment enlistments by offering larger sums of money. How often do you see financially well off individuals enlisting? Not too often. It's unfortunate in my opinion. Not only because of the means they are using to get new enlistments, but because our military is becoming a place business opportunity rather than the rock of patriotism & honor it once was.

• JAS

Well it might not increase initial enlistments, but I do know that it seems to work on people who've already enlisted. They might have only signed up for 4 years but after having the bonus waved in their face they say screw it, and sign themselves up for the 6 year.

Of course it will increase enlistment the same way that lowering the standards has. Does it improve the military cabability of the armed forces is another question completely.

The ONLY way I would ever enlist is when we have our real country back and it's not controlled by the world bankers (Federal Reserve Bank). Why would I risk my life so some greedy jerk can make more money? I'll fight for true freedom, but never for that!

I enlisted without the care of bonuses.

Some will seek out the extra money and some are man enough to serve their country without persuasion.

Source(s): U.S.Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1A1 Abrams 1990-1996

My son did and yeah, I think he would have anyway because he was in ROTC for almost 4 years and planned a military career (it helps with school, etc.) -- I know he has not received it yet but, he's not quite done (almost) with boot camp. Oh.......and boot camp was HELL but now he's starting to sound happier and proud of himself and I'M PROUD OF HIM TOO.