promotion image of download ymail app
Paradigm asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Gold fish and tap water?

I got 2 gold fish in a small glass bowl...all the time they were in the aquarium, they were quite ok...and there were loads of them...they lookd lively...but once i got them home and put it into the bowl..they just lost all the is tap water but as i was advised i kept the water out for a while for the chlorine to fade out...but ultimately i lost both of them after a few it the water or is it something else...?

9 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Unfortunately goldfish need more than just a bowl. For young goldfish I recommend at least 8 gallons 930 liters) per fish, more as they mature.

    Gold fish are also dirty, so good filtration is a must.

    Finally back to your original question, you need to de-chlorinate tour tap water.

    I do NOT recommend drinking water or mineral water intended for human consumption these usually do NOT have the KH and GH necessary for proper osmotic function, especially in Goldfish.

    I recommend reading this article for more about this subject (tap water/ osmotic function):

    Please look into getting an aquarium with a good HOB and Sponge filter (or other choices) as soon as you can.

    This site has several articles that may help you here as well (such as FW Basics, filtration, Nitrogen Cycle [which is important as to posible ammonia problems as well] and more):


    If the fish took a few days to get lethargic, then ammonia is definitely a problem, however the question seems to indicate an immediate problem for which chlorine or worse, chloramines can be blamed. Prime is the best choice for chlorine/chloramines in a new tank (although there are a lot of other good products available for this).

    Source(s): 28 years aquarium maintenance and research experience
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    OMG, you need to do some fish keeping research before you buy another fish. The pet stores will tell you anything to make a sale.

    You cannot put a fish into straight tap water, even if it sits around for a while. You need to add a de-chlorinator like Prime or API Stress Coat. Otherwise your fish will die.

    Goldfish are big poop producers, and it is not recommended to keep a goldfish in anything less than a 15 gallon tank with proper filtration because of this reason. Your goldfish were in a little bowl poisoning themselves with their own excrement. Not a pretty way to go. A goldfish simply cannot survive in a bowl.

    Go to to the "Coldwater fish" section. You will learn everything you need to know about goldfish there.

    Good luck!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    This could be due to any number of things. Was the water left out for at least 24 hrs? What did you have in the bowl? If the decor you had in the bowl wasn't clean, that could be your problem. Take every thing that you want to put in the bowl and boil it for about 15 min. As for the water, go buy a water conditioner, and make sure it says it will remove chlorine, this will help insure that it is all out. Just be careful what you put in the tank with the fish, they are very sensitive.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If it took them a few days to die it probably wasn't your tap water that killed them. It was the ammonia in the bowl.

    Goldfish needs filtered tanks and absolutely cannot live in a bowl long term. (Anything longer than 12 hours or so is probably already hurting them.)

    If you want to keep something in a bowl, try flowers or floating candles. If you want to keep fish, it doesn't cost that much more to get a proper tank with a filter and heater.

    Go to for help first to get properly advised about cycling and stocking. There's a forum there of folks who all keep fish and answer questions because they love fishkeeping and care about your fish's wellbeing, not because they're competing for points.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    I don't think it's the water your problem is. I think it's the amount of space you've given your goldfish. Goldfish need 5 gallons of water each. Preferably 10 gallons. You had yours in a bowl. That might have been too small for your fish to swim around and stuff.

    I would suggest you buy a 10 gallon tank and buy 2 goldfish.

    Try again

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    You should put 3mL of water conditioner for 3 gallons of tap water - in drops this would be about 10-12 drops

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Its the water. The old "keep the water out for a few days and then its safe" no longer works because most municipal water companies use chloramine in the water, which does not dissipitate after a few days.

    Either use a good bottled water (spring water or mineral water, distilled is not good for fish), or get a dechlorinator from your LPS.

    I hope this helps.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pete
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    You cant keep goldfish in a bowl its far to small for 1 fish never mind to.

    Goldfish need 10 gal each, they are very messy fish and in a bowl they will soon be swimming about in water that is high in ammonia (fish poop and old food) and this will kill them.

    They suffocate to death as the ammonia takes the oxygen out of the water and burns them.

    The need good clean filtered water.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Transportation is really hard on goldfish. I usually buy twice as many as I want.

    Also, use a dechlorinator in the tap water.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.