Kenneth Foster, Innocent Man on Death Row? What can we do?

Public Outcry Grows Ahead of Foster Execution Date

Back in this country, public outcry is increasing as the execution date of a Texas man known to not have committed a crime draws near. Kenneth Foster is scheduled to be executed Thursday under a controversial Texan law known as the law of parties. The law imposes the death penalty on anybody involved in a crime where a murder occurred. Eleven years ago, Foster was driving a car with three passengers. One of the passengers left the car, got into an altercation and shot a man dead. Here in New York, a delegation of death penalty abolitionists held a press conference Monday to draw attention to Foster’s case. This is exonerated former murder convict Jeff Deskovic.

Jeff Deskovic: “It is unconscious able that nobody disputes that Mr. Foster did not commit a murder and yet he is scheduled to be executed with in 72 hours. I make a moral appeal for the people of Texas and people all across our country to stand up against the death penalty in general and also in particular in the case of Kenneth Foster.”

Monday’s press conference comes one day after protesters demonstrated outside the church of Texas governor Rick Perry to call for clemency. Amnesty International has also rallied behind Foster’s case. In a statement, Amnesty USA Director Larry Cox said: “Kenneth Foster has been sentenced to death for leaving his crystal ball at home… Allowing his life to be taken is a shocking perversion of the law.”

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/2...

Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles:

Phone (512)406-5852

Fax (512)467-0945

Gov. Rick Perry

Phone (512)463-1782

Fax (512)463-1848

Favorite Answer

Contact Rick Perry, the Texas Governor, by phone or by email. Do it now.

The only answer I can give you is that Rick Perry and the rest of the judiciary here in Texas would rather execute someone who is innocent than have their authority questioned.

• John

I never heard of the man. Did the supreme court uphold his conviction? I guess that it would be up to the governor to pardon him

If a gang has two members hop in the car with the intent to do a drive-by shooting, and one person is the driver...I can see some logic to this...both are guilty of murder.

He had his trial, and he's had appeals. He didn't pull the trigger, but the jury believed he knew he was transporting a man to commit a murder.

You can give me a rope. I think he us guilty and deserves it.

• Mark A

Nice rant, but this isn't the place for it