Is it politically correct to call someone Oriental?

I was told that Oriental is a rug and that it is more proper to use the term Asian. How do the Asians feel about that? No offenses intended here. I just want to be respectful. Thank you

Update:

I really appreciate all your answer. Thank you for responding and understanding the sincerity of the question.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't particularly like being referred to as "Oriental" as it's kind of the equivalent of calling an African American "colored" - it's dated and kind of derogatory, although not as bad as other names. I'm okay with "Asian" or "Asian American" as I was born and raised in the US; additionally they are generally accepted as politically correct . I don't mind when people ask me specifically what ethnicity I am as it kind of breaks the "they all look alike" mentality. Just don't assume that when I open my mouth I'll speak with an accent, that I wasn't born here, or that I'm good at math.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is it politically correct to call someone Oriental?

I was told that Oriental is a rug and that it is more proper to use the term Asian. How do the Asians feel about that? No offenses intended here. I just want to be respectful. Thank you

Source(s): politically correct call oriental: https://shortly.im/5DS35
  • 1 decade ago

A few Asians have told me that Asian describes people and their various cultures. Oriental describes things.

• 1 decade ago

Asian is the correct term. Rugs and food are Oriental

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • undone
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think Asian is preferred. I havent heard anyone use "oriental" when referring to a person in decades so I would go with Asian.

• Lizzie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Asian is P.C. now a days. Oriental is more applicable for items like rugs and decor.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oriental is a form of art.

• 1 decade ago

Oriental is for objects, not people. Asian is fine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I always tell people that...

"Rugs and food are Oriental. People are Asian."

• 1 decade ago

I believe that Asian is preferred. If you know their specific nationality, that is even better, i.e., Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.