Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Does anybody know how to remove pine sap from your clothing? How about latex and oil based paints?

I'm talking about clothing that is mostly cotton and a pair of shorts that I think is pollyester

Best Answer

Oil Based paints come off with Orange or Lemon oil. Unfortunately this leaves the clothes just as damaged. Pine tar will come off with Naphtha. It's the main ingredient in Lighter fluid. You can in fact use lighter fluid. It may damage cloth as well but it won't damage paint jobs. It's good on cars or guitars to remove sticky stuff. Don't use goop off or finger nail polish remover. Both products contain acetone. This will destroy your garment as well as remove paint. It burns like Hell and it smells horrible. It will instantly destroy Polyester. It will remove super glue but it destroys all that it comes in contact with including your lungs. The US used it in Vietnam and it's known as Napom.

Latex paint just does not come off unless you catch it right away. It comes off with water. I would take these clothes to a dry cleaner and see if they can get it off. Tell them what it is and they will either be able to clean it or not. If they can't clean it chances are it can't be done safely without damaging the garment.

Sap

Step One Click to enlargeDab the liquid sap with a paper towel or scrape away with a dull knife.

2Step TwoPeel away any hardened sap.

3Step Three Click to enlargeApply stain remover to the stain if the fabric is machine-washable.

4Step Four Click to enlargeWash according to the fabric's care instructions.

5Step FiveAllow the fabric to air-dry.

Tips & Warnings

Avoid exposing the fabric to heat until the stain has been completely lifted.

Stains on dry-clean-only fabrics should be professionally treated.

Latex

We hope you were wearing work clothes when you were doing that painting job ... because latex paint is almost impossible to get out of clothing. But just in case you spilled on your nice jeans or favorite shirt, here are some things you can try to get it out.

Instructions

Difficulty: Easy

Steps

1Step OneScrape off fresh paint with a putty knife and rinse immediately in warm water; launder as usual.

2Step TwoSponge a dried latex paint stain with turpentine or dry cleaning solvent; launder as usual.

Tips & Warnings

Once latex paint starts to dry, it may be too late.

Not sure about your clothing but, margarine or Crisco will remove pine sap from hands , just rub it like you're washing them with soap..then wash with soap.

Could try it on your clothing in an inconspicuous place..then you'll have grease to wash out...

I said hands,,but, any body parts..

Worked at a florist, we used this method at the holidays when we worked with a lot of pine..

Pine sap comes out great in any type of grease. You can buy Goop, or if you're cheap just slather on a pat of butter and rub in. Then wash normally. I've used butter quite often with great success.

Paint that is dried on doesn't come out of clothing well without solvents that destroy the clothing (and you don't want the residue in your washer/dryer or on your clothes when you're done.)

Pine Sap ... wash and allow to soak in very hot water.

Latex, Will come out with soap and water (cold water) , try pre washing first before the wash, should come out.

Oil based paint is permanent - Sorry.

The first two ... after washing, look for the stained area, if it's still there, wash again, because as soon as you toss it in the dryer .. you have successfully helped the stain become permanent. Good Luck

Latex is water based, so just wash the clothes by themselves....try freezing the pine sap and see if you can just "pick" it off your clothes...it works with gum. Oil based paint is real tough. Not sure how to fix that!

Fingernail Polish Remover. I know when I accidently lean against the tree in back with my hand, that always works. Im not sure what the complications of using it on clothing might be though.

What usualy works best for me is lemon juice and a lil rubing alchol

"goof off" works for latex paints. I'm not sure about the others

Source(s): experience
  • Ann

Try Goop...

www.goophandcleaner.com

That's stuff amazing. Works with just about everything.