Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Why do spiders bite?

Really, scientifically - Why? I was bitten in my sleep BADLY and I didn't provoke it or anything.

I thought they liked bugs!

Why do they want to bite flesh?

Wikipedia doesn't actually SAY why. I'm trying to avoid websites, because they show pics of spiders. EW

Favorite Answer

Spiders will bite generally for two reasons: to procure food, and to protect themselves.

It's unlikely that any spider would view you as a food source, so it probably wasn't trying to eat you.

As for protection, if a spider is molested or injured, it may bite as an attempt to defend itself. It is possible that this might occur if, for example, a spider happened to be wandering across your bed while you were asleep, and you rolled over onto it. Although we don't really mean to, sometimes our great size relative to the spider can be very dangerous to the little critters, and we can squish them without even realizing.

It's also highly probable that you weren't actually bitten by a spider. The chances of a spider just wandering past, and you happening to roll over at exactly the wrong time and getting bit are really, really low. However, this doesn't stop physicians from diagnosing 'spider bites' for any unexplained burning or itchy red spot.

Doctors tend to use the 'spider bite' explanation as a dismissal for any sort of dermal lesion they couldn't be bothered to properly diagnose because they see the symptoms as trivial.

Not only does this increase the villification of spiders in the eyes of the general public, it has also caused the mis-diagnosis of a wide variety of medical ailments. Examples of actual causes that were originally dismissed as 'spider bites' includes other arthropod bites (bed bugs, ticks, reduviid bugs), chemical irritation reaction to detergents, lesions due to onset of diabetes, and in one famous case, a 7 month old infant's symptoms were dismissed as spider bites, and later found to be cutaneous anthrax!!

One study found that as few as one in ten thousand 'spider bite' cases actually had any evidence that linked the skin lesion to a spider.

So it might well be that the reason you can't find a motive for why the spider bit you is that maybe you weren't bitten by a spider.

Why Do Spiders Bite

Spiders bite for two reasons, to obtain food or in self defense. If you were bitten in your sleep how do you know what bit you was a spider? For some reason everyone seems to think of spider bites before anything else. Many times there is no indication at all of the cause of the bite. A

spider will bite if it is held against a person in such a way that

it can't escape, or at times if it is defending an egg sac. They

don't bite for no reason at all.

Spiders bite as a defense. Most spiders can't get through your skin though. If you were being robbed and you had pepper- spray, would you use it?

Source(s): Anywhere

Sometimes spiders will bite when they press against you they will bite if you move or they feel a threat,some spiders are aggressive

Source(s): Pest Control tec. 15 years

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why do spiders bite?

I thought they liked bugs!

Why do they want to bite flesh?

Source(s): spiders bite: https://biturl.im/nYTaF

not all spiders bite but for those which bite they sometimes bite to protect themselves when in danger sometimes to defend during a fight when a spider is stock in an unknown area it just bite may be that`s why you where biten by it

yes spiders do bite!!! even in the uk. unless you have an allergic reaction to it you won't die from it in the uk. our most poisonous one in the uk is the huntsman spider. i have some on guard in my house living in the cornices. they are not dangerous to humans as they have such a tiny body and even if they could pierce your skin the small amount of toxin would not kill you. although i am scared of spiders i keep these as they are fascinating to watch and they enjoy feasting on the two types of spider that i hate the dreaded big black or brown runners, the ones in my house rear up to attack when they notice you and have been known to chase the dog!!! the huntsman are marvellous hunters and deal with these promptly. as to why they want to bite it is either protectoral or to paralyse its food source. get your leg checked out as spiders have been known to lay eggs in a wound. remember spiders from tropical countries can be transported via foodstock containers although most die due to the cold but if it is insulated enough beware!!!!

Yes, spiders bite, and you do not have to provoke them. They are wild animals, and should never be teased or messed with.

If you think your spider bite is really bad , then I would go directly to the Emergency room. Do not pass go-Do not collect $200.00

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/jfjV0

i like snake bites the best spider bites are pretty cool looking i honestly hate angel bites