CafeLate asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

To Desex or Not to Desex - Male Dog Owners Please!?

Breed: Toy Poodle

Age: 6 months

He's an adorable red/apricot toy poodle that I may choose to breed one day.

1) I don't want him getting my mum's dog pregnant (I don't mind de-sexing Mum's dog because we wont ever breed her)

2) I don't want my little guy to pee everywhere on my friends/family's furniture when I take him visiting

3) I don't want him to get territorial and wee everywhere inside MY house

I've never owned a male dog before and I'm not sure what to expect. Surely # 2 & 3 have a lot to do with the way I train him???

Please help me make a decision.

• Favorite Answer

Hormones will dictate #2 and #3. Training can only do so much.

Just being "adorable" isn't reason enough to breed and bring more puppies into an overpopulated world. Get him neutered, and get your mom's dog spayed.

Yes, No. 2 & 3 is trainable.

My experience. I had 2 male dogs (Not Desex) and never bred them. They are on high gear to find a mate throughout their life and only tame down considerably last few years of their life. Both of them never pee at home as they are trained to do outdoors only.

I currently have a male dog that is desexed.

My take on both

- Desexed dogs are not so sexual. They do not go around for mates as much especially when they are desexed at a young age. They tend to be more managable from young. Their wee area dun have much smell.

- Not Desexed. They hump a lot more, their wee and wee area has a pungent smell. They get lost a lot more as they get any opportunity to go out roaming looking for mates.

If you are not intending to breed your dog, advice is to desex them. In any case, I'm against breeding dogs. Too many abandoned dogs in the shelter that needs a new home. Why breed more?

Source(s): Get tips on dog care at http://www.dogcarezone.com

I think the decision on desexing your Ma's dog belongs strictly to your Ma. If she does not want to do this, you can't make her. So the safest thing is to go with the assumption that your Ma's dog is going to remain intact.

Numbers 2 and 3 will be very much a matter of training...*until* your dog reaches puberty, in which case he will have about as much control over his hormones as you did (or will?) over yours when you were (or get to be) that awkward age.

I had one male Poodle, Pepper, who I left intact for the following reasons: 1) He was immaculately housetrained (he'd use a litter box if I didn't come home in time to walk him); 2) he had low drive; and 3) he didn't know one end of an eligible female from the other. I figured the gals in the neighborhood were safe... I did have him neutered finally just before we deployed for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. He was eight years old and I didn't want him getting testicular cancer.

But Pepper was very much the exception. Every other male dog I've had--*every one*--has been an indoor leg-lifter. Some were better about it than others, but I could never quite trust any of them around anything with corners. (This, unfortunately, included my first laptop and several fine bookcases.)

Your dog is probably nearing the maximum age at which he could be neutered before any of the adult-male behaviors come to the surface. You may want to go forward with the surgery as much for his mental health as anything else. It's not really fair to expect him to live like a monk that close to a female in heat; neither dog needs the stress, and neither do the owners.

And if the male behaviors are difficult to live with before he's been bred, just wait until after one or two matings--you'll never get his mind off it then. Very few stud dogs still make good companions.

It'd be ideal if both dogs in your household were sterilized; but if that doesn't happen, at least give the poor little guy a break from his urges, as he's the one who'll have the hardest time of it if he remains entire.

Source(s): All the little dogs, especially Combat Poodle Pepper; Rudi, Italian Greyhound; and Maynard the Cairn.

A neutered male is a much easier animal to live with. They will be less territorial, much less likely to have humping behaviors, and to roam the neighborhood when a ***** is in heat. I know of 2 cases where a complete male got an unfixed ***** pregnant before she showed signs of coming into heat. Hormones are a powerful thing, and dogs smell these much before we see the evidence. If you want to keep your dog complete. Go to obedience classes, and follow directions religiously. I know people with very nice complete male dogs, but they are extensively trained. I have a wonderful 4 year old large male dog. Had him nuetered at 4 months. He has a wonderful personality, gets along well with other dogs people and babies. I have trained him never to mark in the yard. He is not allowed to pee on cars, landscaping, housing, or any personal property. We have a wild area within a 100 yards of our house, and there he is free to mark every weed, ditch rock and mud clump in sight. We make sure he is well exercised also. This does wonders for all dogs behavior.

• Leigh

You've pretty much answered your own question. He could get your mom's dog pregnant, he probably will pee everywhere, and he probably will get territorial. I have spent years working at our local humane society, and we have had more male dogs come in for these problems than you could believe...many people didn't de-sex because they were concerned about cost, didn't want to take away their dogs' "manhood", thought about breeding someday...etc.

I certainly don't want to put down your dog, but if your dog was the kind of dog that was meant to breed, it's breeder probably would have kept it for herself. Poodles can have a variety of health issues, and you would never want to breed a dog, male or female, without ruling out every single one of them.

And, no, #2 & #3 don't have anything to do with training...they have to do with the sexual hormones running through an unaltered dogs body...if the dog chooses to spray in the house, no amount of training will stop it, ever. I have owned 4 neutered males, and never had a problem with marking...I had one that I adopted at age 7-1/2, had him neutered after adopting, and while it reduced the marking, it did not eliminate it. The faster you neuter your dog, the less likely this will occur.

If you really care about this dog, and want to be able to keep him healthy and happy, and keep your house from smelling like urine, neutering soon is the best way to go. One more thing about breeding...I understand why you feel you may want to breed him, OF COURSE he is perfect in your eyes, that's the way it should be, but if you're not showing him (and winning), he is not going to ever be worthy of breeding, and the testing neccessary prior to breeding is very expensive.

The best way to go about breeding dogs is to study everything you can, "apprentice" for a quality breeder, learn about showing dogs, (this stuff takes years), and then, purchase a dog from a responsible, proven breeder who can help you choose a dog worthy of reproducing.

For now, in a word, neuter.

• Lisa

1). There are plenty of "adorable" Poodles in shelters.

2). You going to fork up the thousands in vet bills, should his puppies be diagnosed with genetic disorders? You, as breeder, would be responsible for those costs, and the new owners could sue you.

3). Is he a Red, Apricot, or Cream? There are nine colors in Poodles. Which is he? Red, Apricot, Cream, White, Cafe Au Lait, Black, Silver, Blue, and Brown. Shouldn't you at least know what color he actually is? What color was he registered as?

Neutering a male can help with dominance, however, it will not turn your dog into a saint.

Also, it's a fraction of the cost to neuter your dog, as it would be for all of those medical issues those puppies you're responsible for could have....

Yes it has a lot to do with the way you train him but an intact male will be WAY harder to train not to mark. Even if after he starts marking you get him fixed it will still not be as easy as if you did at before he was a year old. Its just instinct for them to mark their territory-or ANY territory they come into contact with. It will be especially difficult to bring him to a home with other dogs, esp. male dogs. And intact males tend to be more aggressive-again a instinct thing. Its your decision but for a pet I'd personally never have a male that was intact. (I do have males though)

i recommend having the dog fixed....but if you aren't going to do that.....

check into buy a couple belly bands which will go around the dogs back and weenee. (lol)

i have an intact male for show purposes and that is what we use. just stick a maxi pad inside the belly band and it works very well.

again, prob the best option is to have the dog fixed, the sooner the better for health reasons more than piss reasons.

I have a 2 year old unaltered male Siberian Husky/Wolf mix and he is a terror now. All he ever wants to do is fight the other dogs and pee on everything. He has gotten to the point where I cant even let him in the house for 5 minutes without him trying to pee on something. My advice is, is unless you are SURE you want to breed him, you may want to get him fixed otherwise he will start marking his territory and he wont stop once he gets older.

We have 2 ,males that we have retired from breeding and both of them have been fixed. I also have a young male that was born with only one testicle and I had to have him fixed. I had such high hopes to use him as a breeder but it didn't work out that way. Uness I am using a male for a breeder, he will be fixed. That is the best thing for them and for your house.