Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

1999 in Ethiopia?

hey everyone. my friend is from ethiopia and she tells me that it is year 1999 there. I just wanna know if this is true. If so, please tell me how it is true. (the proof) cause my mom doesn't believe me and she says she needs proof.

• Rahwa
    Favorite Answer

In Ethiopia, we follow a different calender which is similar, if not the same, to the coptic calendar. We have 13 months; 12 months are 30 days long while the 13th month are six days long.

September 11 is the millinium for Ethiopia and there will be a HUGE celebration in Addis Ababa. I wish I could go, but I'm sure whoever goes will have a fantastic time there!!

Yes it is true!!!

That is because the Ethiopians use the COPTIC CALENDAR.

Which has 12 months of 30 days and one of 5 or 6 days depending if it is a leap year.

The difference in years is because they believe that Jesus was born on a different date to the Catholics.

It's will be their new year in a few weeks. Because they celebrate it on the month of Meskerem. Which this year starts on September 11th.

So if you want to celebrate the millennium again,,, you know where to go to. Adis Ababa :p

HERE IS PROOF:

Copic Calender

http://www.consul.com.au/Calendar%20full%20year%20...

More about the Coptic Calender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar

yes it's 1999 here!!

Today is 22/12/1999 actually

we have a different calender than the rest of the world!

just as the others here said.......

8 days to go from this month and then there's the 13th month and it has 6 days this year('cause it's a leap yr)

Just 14 more days to go!!!

tell ur mom to google "Ethiopian millenium"

Happy new year btw!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): proud 2 b Ethiopian
  • The Ladies have answered it pretty well, but I'd just like to add: Ask your mom to Google for "Julian Calendar" + "Ethiopia" It's simple.

We're all ready for the NEW MILLENIUM, ETHIOPIAN STYLE !

It's on September the 11th, 2007 ... 14more days to go !!!!

Cheers !