What's your position on the question of assisted suicide? Should it be legal? Is it right or wrong?

What do you think?

Favorite Answer

The only reasons anyone can give against assisted suicide are invariably religious-based. Technically, we are all free to practice or NOT practice any religion of our choice. If someone believes there is no penalty in the hereafter for suicide, they automatically have the freedom to commit suicide. The only problem is that despite religious freedoms, our system wants to consider it murder and tell us what to think.

I think it should definately be legal under certain circumstances. If somebody is suffering, say at a hospital, in a condition with no hope of recovery, then it should be legal. However, if let's say somebody is fine physically, and just really wants to die - if somebody assists in a suicide in such a case I think it should be illegal, because they should have done anything possible instead in trying to get help for this person, rather than helping them to die. So it would really depend on the circumstances.

My identical twin sister died with a vicious form of sarcoma that invaded her body. The doctors told her that chemotherapy and radiation would not help with anything other than alleviating the pain.

She could not tolerate the chemo. They began giving her morphine through a pump to relieve the pain. It did not work that well at first until they put her on a comstnat morphine pump.

Her pain was excruciating.

I wept most of the time. She lived with this for 9 months before she finally died. I prayed for the Lord to take her home towards the end of this.

Her last words to me were, "I'll miss you."

**cries**

Since we are identical twins and both have the same disease from which her cancer developed,, I could easily develop the same cancer that she did.

If I do, I want to die and go to Heaven. I do not want to go through what she did.

I would want help to die.

• Nick V

All "consensual crimes" should be made legal. If you are "murdering yourself" because your pain filled or disease wracked existence blows, and you need a hand, that's consensual. Where's the "victim"?

Prostitution, pot smoking, all of that. If you can't point to a genuine "victim" in a court room, it shouldn't be against the law.

It's clear to me: there's no Baby Jesus to cry every time some fetus or old cancer patient croaks. Kittens don't die when anyone smokes a joint or bets on the roll of a die (unless you're hanging on a cross and they're betting on your loincloth--there ya got yer victim yess sir!)

Prostitutes and their clients are both there for their own nefarious reasons. Consensual relations among adults is the subject of commerce on many levels. Some girls want $200, some want a diamond ring and a house.

Ain't Nobody's Business if You Do.

Source(s): Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do Peter McWilliams http://www.amazon.com/Aint-Nobodys-Business-You-Co...

I live in Oregon where physician assisted suicide is legal. It's called the Death With Dignity act. It was...and still is... a very controversial measure. In fact, it had to be voted on twice. It first passed in 1994, and over the years there have been several attempts by the federal government to overturn it, but without success. Even those who voted against it resented the Bush administration for trying to interfere with the right of our state to uphold a law approved by the voters.

At the time, I voted against Measure 16 and later Measure 51 mainly because I worried about how close it was to euthanasia. I questioned just how many people may just be wanting to push dying relatives through the door sooner to get at money and fortunes and what not, or maybe abusive spouses trying to kill battered spouses in this way...and use the assisted suicide in order to do that. Both of these definite possibilities. Thank goodness, these things don't appear to be happening. In fact, Oregon has been very clear that euthansia is still illegal in the state.

Apparently, there's a lot of guidelines surrounding physician assisted suicide, and certain criteria that has to be met in order to get the prescription for the letal dosage of pills...so it's not a willy-nilly decision to end one's life in this way. By the time a resident in this state decides to do this "final exit" as it's called, they've pretty much have less than six months to live...and thought it through pretty thoroughly and gone over it with their attending physician and sometimes their loved ones.

To the poster before me, that is not true what you said about those who called it immoral. I am opposed to it, I do find it for lack of a better term immoral...even though I did have a loved one die of a terminal illness. My experience? From September 1989 to February 1990, I watched my mother literally decompose in front of me in the last few months of her life. She had invasive cancer and died at the age of 58. At that time, I remember thinking, if only there were a pill she could take and then she falls asleep and not wake up. It would be so much easier. Then I thought easier...for who? her? or ME? I was absolutely wracked with guilt for thinking like that...like I wanted to kill my own mother. I think that experience was pivotal in forming part of my views, and helped me decide to vote against the measures when it came up in the 90s.

I still don't agree with it, and I would never choose to do it if I were in that situation. I figure God gives life, He is the only one with the right to take it....but it is the law in this state, so that's that. People should know, though, there are many alternatives for dealing with end of life decisions, and I think they should be on the table in addition to physician assisted suicide, too...and these issues should be discussed BEFORE a person becomes gravely ill.

it goes with "choice" and freedom to decide or take one's life in own hands

suicide = if successful, no penile code for the dead

assisted suicide = depends on laws if legal or made illegal

right or wrong is determined by pop culture and majority rule of those currently in charge

success and morals determined by others only, bump that and go with own concience, do what you feel comfortable in that situation

I think it should be legal, as long as it is determined that the person is sane when requesting such a thing.

My father has said to me, "Jeannie, if I am ever in a nursing home either shoot me, or take me skydiving repeatedly until I die"

By the way, my father would never go skydiving as a healthy individual, he is scared to death of it.

What is pain?

What is faith in God?

What is the world view on a dying person and suffering?

Do you believe and trust God to heal and take away illness and sickness?

Man's substitiute for God. Heal yourself? Assisted suicide.

Nothing man thinks or does surprises God!

Source(s): Does anyone have a right to destroy God's property? God knew us before we were formed.Jeremiah 1:4-8. What choice we make makes our destiny. God does change his mind! He loves us and wills himself to do so. Some ran to God and confessed their wrong and asked for forgiveness and fasted and prayed. In sackcloth and ashes and they heard from heaven. Jesus dead for this very reason,for the Lord to hear us when we pray. Jesus is the advocate. Man puts his trust in man.So he goes for the assistance of suicide rather than deal with his sin against God. If you make your bed you will lay in it. But if you love the Lord he will end your life with Joy. Look at the condtion of the heart. This is where the issues of life flow. God said "Guard it!" Let him love you,because he wants too. When your heart is dead it is just a matter of time before all your desires for life dies and that is pain and sickness. Pray and ask the Lord he hears us. Psalms 107.

It should be legal, as long as the person requesting the service is of sound mind and is capable of making that kind of decision.

Anyone who says that it is "immoral" has never had to watch a person slowly waste away from a debilitating disease.

Awfully personal question. Even more personal than abortion though it is a right to life question. I think the Bible teaches us to endure but I believe the Lord understands when you can no longr tolerate the pain.