What Credit Score will keep you from getting a Security Clearance?

In the military, what credit score will make you ineligible for a security clearance?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no credit score that will automatically prevent you from getting a clearence. Your credit score is one item that will be used to determine your level of financial responsibility, along with some others. Even if it is horrible, your clearence application will be refered to a board that will consider mitigating factors (e.g. did you eventually pay the delinquent accounts off). Also DoD is more lenient than other granting agencies. Don't worry and just be honest with your answers. To find out more on this subject I would suggest you read the Adjudication Desk Reference at this link:

http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/finance/finanF.htm

• Tamara
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Yes it can. It can prevent you and also you can lose your clearance if you already have one. If you have things on your credit report that may prevent you from a clearance, as long as you are attempting to pay the debts or file bankruptcy, you will be fine as far as obtaining/keeping a clearance. Now as far as a Top Secret clearance that you are speaking of for an Intelligence career, you not only need great credit but you need no prior criminal convictions or investigations. These people do a very, very thorough investigation of you prior to granting you a top secret clearance. So keep your bills paid and stay out of trouble and do not hide anything from them when they interview you because they know already anyways, you should not have any problem. Good luck!

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What Credit Score will keep you from getting a Security Clearance?

In the military, what credit score will make you ineligible for a security clearance?

Source(s): credit score security clearance: https://tr.im/i8NS5
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, my husband had a score between 500-520 and he was still granted a Secret clearance. It depends on alot of other factors that are more important than your credit score.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on what type of clearance you are attempting to get. Normally, other factors are looked at and given a higher priority such as background interviews.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think around 600. I once applied for a government job related to military work - although i wasnt in the military but it might be about the same rating. They required a credit rating of around 600 if i remember right. Its been several years back though so i might be wrong.

• Coach
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes it can. The govt looks harder at credit history than a lot of other things. This is due to the temptation to take money for information (to pay off bills).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Usually... below a 600... for a Secret.....!

For a " Final Clearance "... Presidential Staff and Secret Service... it has to be Above 800.

Thanks, RR

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.