Should I buy a broken LCD monitor off eBay at a cheap price?

Should I buy a broken LCD monitor from eBay at a much lower price with the hope of getting it successfully refurbished and making it usable again?

For example, a Dell 24" retails for around $550, while I can buy the same product on eBay for around $60 total albeit it's announced non-functional. I suppose that even giving it to a technician to fix or attempting it on my own will ultimately be cheaper, but am not specifically proficient enough in monitor repair to decide if it's worth my time.

What do you think? If it depends on the description of the technicality, what should I look for?

Favorite Answer

Find out how much it would cost to fix it,

If it works out to less then what you are paying for the broken one,

Then yes its a good deal,

Make shur you know what the problem is,

It really all depends on what it works out to fix it and if it is fixable,

You dont want to buy it and end up finding out the problem is not fixable ,

or the price is more then you would have paied for a bran new one,

Hope this helps

• s j

Let's see. If you had the choice of paying $20 to recycle a junk monitor or selling it on Ebay for $60 what would you do? If a 24" Dell were refurbishable they would have refurbished it. Buy a new monitor and figure you saved $60 by buying the new monitor before you threw away $60 on an old broken old and them bought the new one. What if you pay to get it fixed and it ends up having 30 dead pixels?

Well, I guess it really depends how broken it is and/or how cheap it is. Usually when most people sell a nonfunctional item, all they know is it just doesnt come on or work at all for some reason, period. Chances are its a minor problem and can be fixed, then again maybe not. So I would say....if you like to tinker with things and try to fix them, and the item is pretty cheap, go ahead!! It is a little bit of a gamble.

No, don't get it because people can easily lie to you on ebay and send you one that doesn't seem quite as good as it did online - and adding in the fact that you say it is non-functioning, it probably is exactly that and probably to the point at which you mightn't even be able to get a technition to fix it. If you want to know if there's even a minor chance of getting it to a working level (probably never going to be able to fully function if you say it's bust already but you can fix get someone to fix it), just ask the seller - otherwise you'll end up buying junk. Just wait for another one to come along that's functioning and all.

No. Not worth it.

Monitor technology advances and prices drop so quickly. Wait for that model to be replaced, then buy it on clearance for a song.

And there is no guarantee that the monitor is repairable.

Heck No! What if it is fixed for a good sum then it fails again...just to risky cause then you are out even more money and then you realize you just bought a broken LCD for $60 that doesn't even work and tech wants to take your arm for payment....Bad very bad...

Hi I'm an ebay seller, I say buy it, if you can't get it fix for a reasonable price then put it back on ebay and sell it, you never know you might make a buck or two.

Good Luck

why buy something broken? don't be so cheap

nope not good