Why doesn't my toilet flush completely?

Ok here are the details, the guest bathroom toilet does not flush completely. I've changed stoppers, used an auger through the toilet, and had the city come out to check the lines and said there is no stoppage in the line and nothing wrong in the city line either? Now what? Does this mean I ned a new toilet? Is there something else?

**follow up**

I've checked the tank for substantial water level and water is going all the way to the brim.

**follow up #2** old stopper closed too fast, new one works better, problem still the same.

Favorite Answer

Probably the stopper chain thing, happened to me, or maybe too much fiber in your diet

My answer is only pertinent if you live in a new house or this commode is over a crawl-space or possibly on the second floor. It is a rare problem but you may have back-fall in the drain after your toilet. This can occur when there is a "belly" in the drain pipe and the flushed water is forced to travel uphill. The water can travel uphill for the most part buy solids tend to stay in the belly and can backwash into the toilet. If the pipe is in a concrete slab, a plumber can check the problem with a camera. If you can access the pipe from a basement or crawl space you should be able to see the belly or negative fall. I have also seen a condition where there was doughnut shaped object (toy ring or bracelet) lodged in the toilet. A snake would go right through it but other things would get caught.

If your toilet is not holding enough water in the reservoir

tank then it will not properly flush try adjusting your bauble so the tank may hold more water. If that does not work I would suggest buying a new toilet. By the time you spend on trying to figure it out and the money you may spend on trying to fix the old one you would have been better off to just buy a brand new toilet.

Is the tank filling up completely enough to provide a good flush? Check the float and make sure its not full of water and sagging to low, shutting off the fill valve too early to completely fill the tank. Also check that all the holes arent full of water deposits, as this is a guest room and rarely used they may have a build up in them . Good Luck hope this helps

You have done the usual things that remedy this problem my next guess the vent line for your waste line is plugged or partially plugged not allowing the water to flow properly an indication of this would be your bowl doesn't fill to the level it did originally. If it still does not work and the vent is clear I would pull the toilet up and look for something lodged your augar may be going right by it. Good luck.

You may want to make sure that your stopper is not falling down too fast. This will not let enough water get out of the tank. You can change this by shortening the chain on between the stopper and the lever. Good Luck

Source(s): Had similar issue

If this has always been the case then It sounds like the toilet is not vented properly or the drain line is not correctly pitched.

Contact a few pro's (not just one)for a FREE estimate before u go and purchase a new toilet.

Try adjusting the amount of water in the tank. There may be an adjustment on the float or you may be able to "bend" the float rod up a little to allow more water in the tank. If you have a floatless water tank it may be foundering. Get a new assembly. Good luck.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • Tio

check to see if the tank is full before you flush. maybe the float level is set too low

• Joe T

If it's a Gerber, pull it out. You'll never fix it.