Can someone explain 'crab mentality'?

I am trying hard to understand my ex-boyfriend, a Filipino who was born in CA but grew up in a very Filipinocentric world there...so far I have read a lot of things about Filipino values and tendencies here which all resonate sooo much about him. I am Caucasian though and he was really my first contact with anyone... show more I am trying hard to understand my ex-boyfriend, a Filipino who was born in CA but grew up in a very Filipinocentric world there...so far I have read a lot of things about Filipino values and tendencies here which all resonate sooo much about him. I am Caucasian though and he was really my first contact with anyone of Filipino descent...so I had a ton to learn, and a ton of things that drove me crazy and made no sense to me. I get the rest of it that I am reading, both the positive and the negative traits apply to him very much...but what is 'crab mentality'?
Update: I appreciate all the answers so far...do you think it is only native-born Filipinos who could be subject to being this way, if someone is a first generation Filipino in the US and grows up around all Filipino natives? Because this is certainly what I have been told about by my ex-bf, about his experiences growing... show more I appreciate all the answers so far...do you think it is only native-born Filipinos who could be subject to being this way, if someone is a first generation Filipino in the US and grows up around all Filipino natives? Because this is certainly what I have been told about by my ex-bf, about his experiences growing up...it doesn't sound any different...except that he seems to have this self-hate for being Filipino and seems to think everyone judges him negatively for simply being Filipino, and doesn't want to realize it is his actions that people don't like (irresponsible and quick to anger, for two...)