promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Why is going to sleep on a full stomach unhealthy and bad for a diet?

How is that different from consuming the same meal without going to sleep and instead sitting on the couch, for instance?

What if it was a healthy light meal - low carbs, low fat, etc... (or a low calorie smoothie) about an hour before bedtime - would that be bad as well?

Is there anything that can be eaten about an hour before sleep that won't jeopardize a diet and won't be unhealthy?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your body doesn't have a chance to digest the food. It's just sitting there. The difference between sleeping on a full stomach and sitting on a coach on a full stomach is that when you're on sitting on the couch, you're atleast burning a few more calories by the way you're sitting, getting up, etc.

I'd suggest eating a bowl of cereal or oatmeal before going to bed. That way you're not hungry going to bed, but you won't feel bloated!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is going to sleep on a full stomach unhealthy and bad for a diet?

How is that different from consuming the same meal without going to sleep and instead sitting on the couch, for instance?

What if it was a healthy light meal - low carbs, low fat, etc... (or a low calorie smoothie) about an hour before bedtime - would that be bad as well?

Is there anything...

Source(s): sleep full stomach unhealthy bad diet: https://biturl.im/fJE2s
  • coombe
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Sleeping On A Full Stomach

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/j6thF

Don't you just love those ad bots? The problem with eating, any amount really, before you go to bed is that while you are resting your body and your metabolism shut down so your body will store the food energy in fat. Eating high fiber foods and foods that are harder to digest can keep your metabolism a bit higher while sleeping though. I recommend maybe a single a banana or cucumber. Another way to increase your metabolism while resting is to do a quick work out and just stress your muscles before sleep. Your metabolism is raised for a while after stressing muscles! Hope this helped!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Lying down to go to sleep immediately after eating is not a good idea for more than diet/weight loss or maintenance. Eating a full meal and going to bed increases the risk for esophageal reflux. Peristalsis and gastric emptying is slowed and the position allows for acid & stomach contents to push up against the cardiac sphincter. This leads to reflux and "heartburn." Remaining upright, seated or moving about for at least 1 to 2 hours after eating, promotes digestion and empyting of the stomach.

Additionally, the metabolism slows when sleeping and more of the calories consumed would be stored as fat.

Source(s): training as a health professional
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think there is anything bad about it. I do think it's an old wives' tale.

I checked out the calorie calculator at this site:

http://dftools.ivillage.com/healthtools/calc_cb.cf...

A 200 lb. person burns 81 calories per hour for both sleeping and sitting quietly watching TV.

If we don't digest while we're sleeping, as one person suggested, then why do we wake up hungry and needing to use the bathroom? Obviously there was some kind of digestion going on. Apparently, if a 200 lb. person sleeps for eight hours, 640 calories have been burned. Where did the energy come from? What was it being used for? Digestion, cell repair, and life functions.

I don't think there is any danger at all in having one of the snacks you mentioned.

• 1 decade ago

its unhealthy because when you sleep most of your body goes into hibernation and the food just sits in your stomach instead of being digested, which gets turned into fat and is stored. an hour or two before you go to sleep is fine because your body has had some time to break down the food, but i would make it a very very light snack, like an apple, or a fruit smoothie, or a small salad with little or no dressing. dont eat a hamburger then walk straight to bed and conk out. thats no bueno.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, it's unhealthy because it's harder for your body to digest it and will most likely turn into fat because of that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.