I have a Dogde Neon. The mechanic said to only put STP gas?

treatment in the gas tank once every 3,000 miles. The STP webaddress said to put it in the gas tank every time the tank gets filled. Does anyone know why there's conflicting opinions? Recently had $2,000 work done on my car.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

stp is the worst crap to put in your tank. your mechanic is a looser. trade in your neon for a real car.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Gale
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

If you want the maximum horsepower from your car, then you should burn premium gas. It has a higher octane rating which means you're getting more energy from the same amount of fuel. The octane is determined at the refinery, not at the pump. The STP fuel additive is no more than ethyl alcohol which helps keep your fuel system clean, not increase octane. Sorry, but your mechanic is full of sh*t.

• P W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

easy they want you to put it in the tank everytime so they can make more money. It doesn't really clean anything but does help get rid of moisture. i've had much better luck with Marvel Mystery oil 3 tanks in a row then once every once in a while when i notice my fuel milage going back down. Or similar treatment with Seafoam fuel treatment. it's made for use on boats, 2 and 4 stroke small engines , and works great on diesels and car engines. it up to you what you chose to use.

• 1 decade ago

STP says to do it every fill up because all they care about is selling more product. Your mechanic is giving you good advice. I personally don't use fuel treatment that much. I use it every couple oil changes. Some of the chemicals in the treatment are pretty harsh and it is not good to have them in your fuel system all the time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fred C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The STP people want you to use more so they make more money. I rarely use additives, except for an injector cleaner once a year. If you are using quality fuels, you don't need to add anything every tank.

• 1 decade ago

Usually I put them in at every 2 or 3rd fill up. I prefer Lucas gas treatment. But most gas already has the cleaning additives in them so those gas additives are just an extra dose of medicine.

Source(s): A.S.E. Technician way too long
  • 1 decade ago

I use STP everytime I fill up. I buy bulk from Costco or WM. It's lot cheaper than from a gas station.

It helps a lot. Clean and saves gas.

Moose

• 1 decade ago

Good advice about the quality fuel. Each kind of name-brand fuel has pretty good additives, but they're all a little different. If you switch brands of gas (among good brands) you should really keep everything quite clean.

The instructions on the STP bottle kind of remind me of the instructions on shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat. They put the word repeat on there, and it doubles the sales of shampoo!

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You should get an oil change every 3000 miles, I wouldn't waste my money doing it every time you fill the tank. Gas is already too expensive. Just do it every time you get an oil change. Make sure you get your oil changes, this can save you a ton of money.

• 1 decade ago

I would put it on at every oil change which is 3,000 miles....STP says to put it on when you fill up...they just want to make money ....

• 1 decade ago

STP wants to sell more product. Go with the mechanic's advice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.