Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Does anyone know about identity theft protection?

My friend said that they are offering insurance against people stealing your identity. Have you heard about it? And where can I find more info?

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Insurance won't stop anyone from taking over your life. In most cases when credit cards or bank accounts are used in your name the banks themselves take the hit - you usually have a affidavit to sign and within 30 days the issue is resolved. Most times when identity theft is an issue at a credit card company it’s because not enough security measures were taken when the application was processed, hence why they don't hold you liable.

There are so many ways to nick identity theft in the bud - so save your money on the insurance and just follow a few good steps:

Every year review your credit report. Yes, pulling the cb does put your score down, but the points lost are regained within 3 months. Review all information and call the lenders directly if something seems off/you have questions.

With every company you deal with, especially credit, make sure you are removed from their mailing lists and have no 'access cheques' sent without you asking for them. This also cuts down junk mail 70%, bonus.

Change your Personal Identification Numbers/passwords frequently.

Get yourself good anti spyware if you do online banking. Norton is good, albeit pricey, Ad-aware has real-time protection and you can get it free online.

Do not disclose any credit information to a merchant that doesn't have contact info (or if there isn't that padlock symbol on internet explorer)

Review all credit card and bank statements and keep filed for at least 2 years.

Share credit/banking information only with family members you trust explicitly. Family fraud was up 62% last year at BoA. It’s much easier for a family member to get a credit card in your name than a stranger. Typically this happens to seniors and students.

Don’t carry all your identification and credit cards with you. Keep in a safe place at home.

Otherwise, don’t stress about it too much – as long as your smart you shouldn’t have to live in fear that some bad man out there is waiting to take over your life. Keep in mind the media does a wonderful job of instilling fear – the actual amount of identity theft cases is smaller than you might think.

• 7 years ago

If you want the very best protection look at Legal Shield ID Theft. They are linked up with Kroll International and will actually do what they say they will. Kroll is the company who the feds go to when they can't uncover data info. Check them out.

• 1 decade ago

Insurance against Identity Theft is in many ways a waste. You don't want to be compensated after your identity is taken, you want it not taken in the first place. I have heard great things about Zander Insurance and their program for Identity Theft PREVENTION.

• Gary
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, prevention is very important. Check out the internet for identify theft stuff. Even the US Government has plenty of free information. I'm a homeowner and I have it on my policy up to $15,000. It will cost money to clear up things if you are a victim of ID theft.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Robynd123 i dont think it can be achieved sorry but lets face it , i mean too remove your name from phone books dont use credit cards any more & & & & the list has no end ,

sorry i wish if i answered you .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.