bamalik43 asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Will baseball cards ever really be worth anything again?

Like me, I'm sure many of you guys out there have a huge collection of baseball cards that you collected over the course of your childhood. When do you think people will be interested in baseball cards again like they were back in the good ol' days? Do you think our collections will prove valuable in the future? If so, when???

Favorite Answer

If you are like me, and collected in the boom of the 80's & 90's, your cards probably won't ever be worth anything. I know, I have been bummed as I've come to this conclusion too. There are a select few that were rare enough from that time, but in general cards were SO GROSSLY overproduced during that time that they will just never carry value.

It is estimated that the market is now at about 15% of what it was in the 80's and 90's, which is much better for card values in the long run. But, even so, it's the rookies, autographed cards, and game-used cards that will be in most demand.

Source(s): Long-time collector.

Card collecting is hot right now. Baseball is more popular to collect than football or basketball right now. I definelty think that they will always be valuable. Obviously if you have a rookie card for Verlander or another great player it would be very valuable, or if you got a jersey card, bat card, or autographed card it would definelty be worth it to sell, and you would get enough buyers to buy it from you on Ebay, for instance. I myself have tons of cards and there is someone in the world who wants each specfic card. If someone likes a particular team they would buy your cards of that team. Everyone loves baseball. Baseball collections are worth a lot right now, and will be for a long time!

I like when people sell cards face to face but that dosen't happen know more everything is on ebay. My collection should be worth a lot but it probably won't because people look for cards for $2.00. You are right when are people going to interested in baseball cards like the good old days.

There are always the few cards that will be worth a lot.

For instance:

Barry Bonds 2001 card (73 HR)

Alex Rodriguez 2007 card (42 HR and counting; 500th Career Home Runs)

Barry Bonds 2007 card (Broke Aaron's record)

.

.

.

..

it goes on

Maybe in about 100 years the card will be worth something. Too many companies putting out too many cards. Honus Wagner card is one of the most expensive because there were almost NONE put out in the first place. Put out 5 million cards and they have no value. Put out 500 and people will want them.

Nope to many out on the market now. No one can keep track of all the cards. It was just topps, donruss, flear, and score. Now they all of side brands too and the old basic names are all overproduced.

• ?

Only the old ones...these new topps, upper deck, etc. won't be worth anything until about 20 years from now or so

Sure, if people stop collecting them.