Would you cut your limbs off if you sinned?

Mathew 5:29-31 - If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Also, would it be unchristian to divorce your wife if you simply do not get along anymore and can't stand each other?

Also for those that take the bible literally, how do you know this is only a symbol, and you are not literally supposed to do this?

Best Answer

i have 3 leg , which limb are you talking about

• SDW

Yes, it would be un-Christian to divorce merely because you don't get along. Love is an action, not just a feeling.

And regarding the self-mayhem... that's quite a motivation not to sin, isn't it!

If I truly thought that my eyes were leading me down an irreparable path to damnation, I think I would opt to lose my vision for my time here. But this is an extreme case, where a repeated, possibly compulsive behavior is having a detrimental and possibly terminal effect on my faith. There's a big difference between the occasional screw-up and the compulsive rejection of God's will.

There is a symbolic reasoning for this.......

It is not to cut one's arm off.... Just as if one saw a snake, it is not righteous to kill it because it was there...... But, some think it is there personal mission to uphold Scripture by killing a snake.... It simply is not true!!! not a man's job to determine the death of a creature because he saw it first.....

One must think logically on the meaning in order to discern the means by which God was implying upon our spirit (which speaks another language altogether))......

To cut off the arm symbolically, is to stop oneself to putting forth the effort to effect a wrong..... to be "cut off" from the wrong by removing the distraction that causes it to be implemented by the soul.......

On the matter of divorce.... There was a time when men would marry as many wives as they could afford, but it was not God that approved.... As in the beginning, the end will be only One...... Yet, on the matter of divorce, it is not about not "getting any"....... but to be accosted by one who is not your own...... In marriage, there are two parts which make us whole, (male+female = new life =one body)...... anything more than that which creates an addition which was not meant to be.... We still need two parts... a third part makes us unnatural... and there are things against the unnatural unions among men......

Your sister,

ginger

No I would not, saying to gouge it out and throw it away, is used to teach, not to actually do that. We are forgiven of our sins but we are asked to not do them again. If our eye causes us to sin, then we must refrain from looking at the sinful object. The bible is a teaching book, we must take from it this is a symbol.

Yes is is unchristian to divorce, even though many christians do it just as often as non-christians Jesus tells us it is a sin.

The Scriptures describe a righteous course of action as ‘walking with God.’ (Gen. 5:22; 6:9) What if the “right eye” (here representing one’s power of visual concentration) or the “right hand” (meaning what one does, as with one’s hands) were to cause a person to “stumble,” that is, to fall from the path of obedience to God? In such a case, one must take action similar to tearing the eye out or cutting off the hand.

It is common for people to be willing to lose a limb literally in order to preserve their lives. Even more vital, according to Jesus, is the figurative ‘throwing away’ of eyes and hands so as to avoid immoral thinking and actions.

"Would it be unchristian to divorce your wife if you simply do not get along anymore and can't stand each other?" What was Jesus’ view of divorce? “I say to you,” he continued, “that everyone divorcing his wife, except on account of fornication, makes her a subject for adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.” (Matt. 5:32)

A man who would divorce his wife for reasons other than her sexual immorality would expose her to adultery if she had sexual connection with another man, since in God’s eyes the marriage would remain intact. Jesus added that “whoever marries a divorced woman,” that is, one divorced on grounds other than sexual immorality, “commits adultery.”

It is true in the sense that Punishment of Hell are seviour than cutting off some parts in this world as it lasts forever and ever. I think this is a simily to know the seriousness of sinning and not to act upon. Most of us will be without any organs or rather dead once we put this rule into practice.

• Echo

All that sins is my mind. This is simply a metaphor. If I could cut out the parts of my mind that have caused me to sin, I would, but then I would be left dead, and that would be suicide, which is also a sin.

This just means purify yourself. Confess your sins and realize you need to get rid of the SINS, not your body parts.

I can't answer that, because the only case of divorce I know much about is when my mom divorced her first husband because he was gay and cheating on her.

To echo, that's what marital unfaithfulness is. Adultery. Cheating.

No, it's a metaphor. It tells you to purify yourself of what makes you sin. If it is something you find in your sight, don't ACTUALLY slice out your eyes. Remove the object from your sight and ask for forgiveness. If you find your hand sinning, don't just hack it off and be over with it. Get and KEEP that hand out of your pants and ask for forgiveness.

Hi;

this is simply to teach us just how Serious and unimaginable hell is.

this is also to teach us to be repentant of our sins, Jesus used examples like this because it gives us a picture we can understand.

and he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins.

He is good.

• no there is always a door of mercy open 4 us