How would it be if we had a third political party called the "Moderates"?

As a life-long democrat, I do approve of much of that platform. However, I have issues with some things. I'm especially passionately ambivilent about all of the candidates running this time. On the other hand, I agree with the Republican platform on a couple of things, but the candidates running on that platform are all far below my requirement for President. So, politically, I'm in a pickle. (Please do not even mention Ron Paul's name...you supporters are over-selling the guy.)

Favorite Answer

Well, there's a problem with "Moderates"...the same thing happens in Groups and Clubs of all kinds. If you have 100 people in a Group or Club, it seems only about 10 of them do the actual work, the rest are just moderating around. They have no passion to DO anything, other than complain if something doesn't work to their advantage. I've noticed this in people in clubs, from automobile to aircraft, to civil groups. You have a hard core of dedicated volunteers, the rest just pay their dues and expect to be entertained.

I believe that is the ONE thing which hamstrings any kind of Moderate Party forming - there's just no one who can summon the passion to stir moderates to rise up and take over because they ARE moderate, willing to compromise, and just don't HAVE that kind of tunnel-logic passion to drive them. That's WHY they're moderate - laid back, willing to compromise, etc. So it falls to the Looney Left and Radical Right to promote their candidates agressively, and all the Mods can do is vote one way or the other, or split the ticket. Unfortunately, Politics is all about passion and beliefs, and moderate people can be swayed one way or the other. If you don't BELIEVE in something enough, you won't get off your double-moons and pursue the goal. So a Moderate Party is pretty much self-defeating from the start, in my opinion. I've been a club officer many times, and it just seems that the majority of members just want to show up and enjoy the good times, but not work behind the scenes when it means W-O-R-K. Let me know when you get the Party started <LOL!>, and I'll join in.

- The Gremlin Guy - moderately Conservative

I don't see much of a middle anymore. Years ago the issues were few. There was little debate over moral issues that divide us today. Most of us held the view that abortion and those type of issues were immoral. Reps and Dems alike. The battle was over other issues. Our moral standards have changed so much in just the last 30-35 years that it is nearly impossible to merge pieces of both party platforms and create a party that is acceptable to a majority of people. I see division within a moderate party just because there are too many differences. I'm more in favor of letting the politics play out. It's always changing any way. There will never be perfection or complete unity in politics. But there is nothing wrong with trying. I just don't think it will work.

• K

The thing is, there would be too little support for the president of the country. Techincally, saying majority wins, a president could win with 34% of the vote.

Now, concerning the Senate and House, I fully think that would be a fantastic idea. Putting in more parties to those chambers would give a better picture of the country. Instead of having 50 Dems and 50 Reps, we could have 33 Dems, 33 Reps, and 33 Mods, and thus, SOMEONE would have to work together to get things to pass.

Our government is desperate as much as be a 2 social gathering equipment. 0.33 events artwork as spoilers in Presidential elections yet have not have been given any actual possibility of electing everybody to places of work lots greater than canines catcher. The political suggestions you're espousing are maximum heavily according to somebody who could call themselves a socially conservative Democrat or an economically liberal Republican. you will come across people who accept as true with you in the two events.

It's a great idea. The only problem is there would never be enough money available to "Moderates". And we all know that money is what it's all about. If someone got close and made a real serious run at it, it might actually be the thing that would bring the two sides together though.

Take a look at www.unity08.com

Ariel Sharon did it in Israel. I think we ought to leave the looneys on left and right out of running the country.

Not really sure about that. "Moderates" often have views that share from both conservative and liberal ideologies. I think it would be hard for the party to establish a platform.

Might work!

I agree with you about Ron Paul.

we do its called the libertarians