James B asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

What is a good brand model of hybrid mountain city bike?

How much can I expect to spend? Can I get domething good for under $500.00?

Favorite Answer

First, a hybrid bike, a mountain bike, and a city bike are different kinds of bikes.

If you are looking for a bike that can be used for on road, offroad on light trails, and is comfortable, you want what is called an "all terrain" or "sport" bike.

There are many different brands out there, but more important than brand is quality of components. Bottom line is that every manufacturer makes some crappy bikes and some make good bikes that are just a little better than others.

For example, Trek and Specialized are well known brands, but for the same money you can get a KHS, a Diamondback, or an Iron Horse with one level better parts.. better value without the big name.

For the type of riding that I think you might be doing, you'll likely want to stick with a hardtail... that is, a bike with no rear suspension. Rear susp is usually not more comfortable, but it IS heavier and it flexes each time you pedal so instead of your energy being used to go forward it gets eaten in the suspension. Suspension is to keep the wheels on the ground for better handling, not for comfort.

So, as you shop, consider the brands above. For $500 you should be able to get a pretty nice one.

Source(s): 27 years in the industry
  • ct

I'd head to a bike shop for sure - there are so many models out there that fit very differently.

Fit is of vital importance - the bike must feel right!

That being said, here are some companies that make hybrids, that you might want to try:

Trek

Gary Fisher

Specialized

Devinci

Giant

GT

Cannondale

Bianchi

Kona

KHS

Honestly, the list goes on and on - TEST RIDE! and test ride lots!

And yes - you'll get a pretty good hybrid for $500

good luck

Source(s): work in a bike shop

Check out the Jamis Coda. It's more road bike than mountain. Nice looking too.

Source(s): www.jamisbikes.com

I'd like to add Marin bikes to your list. They have 3 different levels of hybrids....fast, comfy, or extra tough with prices down to $425

And I like the neutral gray metallic tones they use.