My very first time going to hawaii. Any Tips?

yeah, the title says it all. islands i'm going to are honolulu and kawaii. stayin for 5 days. not sure on the city, etc. but any main popular tourist attractions? malls? lol of course beaches! i'm going with 6 other members. What should i avoid? Insects, creatures, danger? So yeah tell me whatever you feel i should know or bring/pack with me! So i'll be prepaired! Going this Friday! yay!

Best Answer

HI, Sounds like this is going to be a great trip! Some of the stuff in my post will be stuff you will have to get right on b/c of timing. The entertainment book is pretty key and you should still have time to get it or have it sent to your hotel in hawaii. Ok here's my post:

The 101 things to do in hawaii magazine can be purchased online and sent to you which has a ton of good coupons. Here's the link http://www.101thingstodo.com . You can also get it on the stands on the streets. I do that along with buying the latest entertainment book for honolulu to maximize my discounts. Oahu is a fantastic place to go on vaction and this post that I previously put together will def help you out too! This post ranges from Hiking,Hotels,Waterfalls all the way to clubs and were to get discount coupons. I hope this helps you out! Have a great trip!

I love hiking Hawaii and this site is by far the most detailed. Manoa falls is one of my favorite falls to hike to and although not recommended the hike up past the first falls to the second, third and beyond are amazing. Many people go around the fence and up the banyan roots to the second falls and swim up above. I'm guilty of that too, but it is absolutely amazing and you can dive off the rocks into the water. This link http://www.hawaiitrails.org/ will take you to a site that explains any trail on all the islands and is an absolute MUST see if you’re going to do any hiking on the island. The rest of this post is stuff I put together for someone else and has other helpful or useful info for travelers to Hawaii. Def go and check that site out...you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps you out.

I am a nature nut and Hawaii is a great place to enjoy our beautiful planet! I put this together earlier but wanted to share it with you because there are some things here that will help you out! Hawaii is definitely worth it! I just can't get enough of that place! I have been 6 times and I have found enough on Oahu to do that I haven't even ventured out to the other islands yet! Here are some things in Waikiki and around the island to do; Dukes is def cool and right on the beach, and if you want to dance you can head over to Scruples. If you like to drink then do it in your room cause it is way way to expensive at the clubs. I suggest going to one of the 50+ ABC stores and grabbing your alcohol there for much cheaper! There is a ton of eating places down on the strip but the real Hawaii is out of town. Take the bus or drive up to manoa valley and experience the rainforest and a natural waterfall! Take a trip to the north shore and go to Waimaia Valley and see some of the most spectacular fauna anywhere! If you adventurous hike along the ridges and see paradise from 4000 feet! I did that and loved every second of it..Ok well it was more like 8 hours of it but anyway..lol. This link will take you to a site with very detailed info on hiking trails http://www.hawaiitrails.org/ Diving and snorkeling are pretty awesome too! Hanuama bay is touristy and with good reason. You are guaranteed to see tons of fish and have a nice afternoon at a beautiful beach! Diving can be done just off shore and runs around 100 bucks for 2 tanks and you don't need to be experienced. Not far out of town you can jet ski or parasail. Wouldn't really bother with the jet skiing because they have too many rules in Hawaii but the parasailing is something you should at least try once. After that it gets kind of boring. In town the international market place is def cool and worth strolling through...a tip..go to all the kiosks and then go back and don't be afraid to barter..that's how it works there! On the weekend a really cool thing to do it go to aloha stadium for a huge flea market!!! I mean huge the tents go all around the stadium and everything you find for souvenirs in Waikiki you will find there for way I mean way cheaper!! Oh one last thing, you have to go to a Luau and the Paradise Cove Luau is the best. oh crap...just thought of something else that will help you out. Go to www.Entertaiment.com and buy the book for Hawaii and it will give you so many discount coupons it will pay for it self right away. I did and it worked great. I just found another site that has coupons that you can print off the web so check this one out too http://www.ecouponshawaii.com/............. Don't forget that part..really do it and you won't be sorry. Many 2-1 coupons on dinners in the Entertainment Book. Waikiki is is really expensive so anytime you can save money it’s a good thing. I have been to Hawaii 6 times now and would love to live there. I hope you make it because you won't forget it! Aloha!

Some more stuff:

Must See Attractions

Paradise Cove Luau - Best on the Island (get entertainment coupon"

Polynesian Cultural Center - North Shore (can catch show here) Make sure you get the "entertainment coupon" At the 42-acre Polynesian Cultural Center, you can experience the everyday adventures of Pacific cultures first-hand. Immerse yourself in the habits and customs of the real Polynesia, while natives demonstrate the art of dancing with fire, making jewelry from plants and climbing 50-foot trees in bare feet. And our new “Go Native” activities let you try your hand at authentic activities and games in our seven native villages. Try Tongan spear throwing or participate in the Haka war dance of New Zealand. Enjoy the Ali’I Luau, named “Most Authentic” by the Kahili Awards, and the “Horizons” night show, featuring over 100 native performers

Diamond Head - Cause everyone's doing it

Waikiki- Can't go to Hawaii and miss the strip

Manoa Falls - An easy hike with views and feel of the jungle and it's free!

Hanuama Bay - Best tourist snorkeling in the islands!

Drive the Pali Highway and go to the lookout

Pink Cadillac is where most Japanese gals hang out and is located in Waikiki on Ena Road!

Zanzabar in Waikiki it's in the Waikiki Trade Center on Kuhio Avenue.

Pipeline Cafe in Honolulu located behind Dixie Grill.

The Ocean's Club located in the Restaurant Row Shopping Center.

The Mai Tai Bar located in Ala Moana Shopping Center located across from Bubba Gump 2nd floor from Shirokiya. The food & drink menu is awesome!

Rumours nightclub is located in the Ala Moana Hotel.

The Galaxy Club located at 1739 Kalakaua Avenue across the street from the back half of Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu.

Have fun!

http://www.pinkcadillacwaikiki.com/html/...

http://www.zanzabarhawaii.com/

http://www.pipelinecafe.net/homepage.htm...

http://www.oceanclubonline.com/............

http://www.maitaibar.com/hawaii.html.......

http://www.clubvibes.com/listings/listin...

http://www.myspace.com/galaxynightclub.....

http://www.iflygo.com (cheap interisland flights)

Makiki Heights drive - Tourists don't find this gem and it's amazing! MUST SEE. Check your map to get to Makiki Heights. Great views of the island

Restaurants: There are tons of restaurants in Waikiki. If you are young and like to drink then drink b/4 you go out! The Pacific Beach Hotel has drink specials all week long and there a good deal. There are Mai Tai specials all over but DIXIES has the screamin Mai TAi which comes in a 32 oz glass and is about 6 bucks!!! Good Eats there too! For cheaper eats go outside of town over towards the Kaneohe side. If you do want to eat in Waikiki then I would highly recommend that you go to www.entertainment.com and buy the book for Hawaii. This coupon book will save you a ton on the island! Seriously every time I go I get the book and use all the 2-1 deals in it! Check ebay for it too sometimes you can get it dirt cheap!

Source(s): I put this post together awhile ago but thought you could really use some of the info for your Oahu part of your stay! I hope this helps you out! Aloha!

I can only speak for Kauai. Awesome.

Be sure to snorkel. When you do, don't forget that parts of your body will be out of the water while your face is under, so use sunscreen. Also, DO keep a reasonable distance from the ocean wildlife; some are endangered, and some are truly dangerous.

Take more than one swim suit, comfortable sandals that can be wet, water-proof camera and/or under-water camera. Ask airport officials to check FILM by hand; not through the machines. If you have a waterproof case for your phone, take it. A lightweight, smaller backpack was very helpful - I packed it empty inside my suitcase, but used it constantly once we were there. Kauai has Safeway and Costco, so take your cards if you have them. Don't bother with dress-clothes - everything is casual. If you want to do tours (helicopter, hiking, zipline, boat, etc). be sure to decide and schedule them as soon as you get there, then work other stuff around them. Bookstores on the mainland sell guides to the Islands that are actually pretty helpful.

And last, call to confirm your return flight the day before, especially if you are on United. Sitting at the airport knowing you could have had 3 more hours on the beach (if only you'd known they changed your itinerary) really stinks.

Have a great time.

Source(s): Just went in June.

You speak fluent Hawaiian? Really? Maka‘ala ke kanaka kahea manu. You're going to have major problems trying to live on your own as a minor. And frankly, even if your mom approves and gives you a couple hundred dollars, she's still likely to get in trouble for letting you go. You will have major problems even finding some place to rent to you, regardless of if you can pay for it. The normal recommendation is that someone coming have 5 figures to cover room, board, transportation, etc., to get started. And no, that's not a "high ball" figure. That's real. That's the low end. That means $10,000 or more if you're "running away" and would need a place to stay, time to find work, etc. There are not jobs galore, especially for "run away" 16 year olds. You are not just going to show up and be able to support yourself. Period. Anyway, running away to Hawaii at 16 would be a Very Bad Idea. You will rapidly go homeless. Perhaps instantaneously. It will not be good. It will not be fun. You will not just sleep on the beach and walk around eating fruit off of trees. You will likely be shipped back to where you came from almost immediately, and your mother could well find herself arrested for one charge or another. And you'll likely find yourself a ward of the state... back in Illinois.

Honolulu is not an island. It's a city on the island of Oahu and is also the state capital. The other island you are talking about (I think) is Kauai.

Oahu: luau, catamaran ride, Diamond Head, Ala Moana shopping center, Haleiwa, Dole Plantation. Beaches - Waikiki (of course), Sunset, Sandy, Waimea Bay, Lanikai.

Kauai: zipline, Spouting Horn, Kilauea Lighthouse, innertube ride down an old sugar cane irrigation ditch. Beaches - Tunnels, Ke'e, Poipu.

Source(s): Aloha :)

Definitely the mall in Honolulu - Ala Moana Center - all the typical mall stores, with Beverly Hills in the middle - Louis Vuitton, etc, restaurants/bars on top. Atrium style - Its Paradise! Also great for shopping Aloha Stadium swap meet Wed, Sat, Sun.

Kauai - if they still have Captain Zodiac Raft along the Napali Coast - great time

Aloha

Make sure you snorkel at least once and go to a Luau. The Luau was $80 but included all you can eat and drink and was amazing! Take a helicopter tour if you can, it's great. I went to a bookstore and bought a travel guide for Hawaii and it had all of the numbers and attractions business times listed right in it so it was very helpful. Sorry I don't remember the name of the book. Have a great time!

• Matt s

Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Very cool, but it takes up a better part of a day. It was worth it though.

Eat at the Shorebird. It is in the Outrigger Reef on the beach. (There are a few Outrigger hotels, but only one on the beach.)

They bring your steak, or whatever you order raw, then YOU go to the grill and cook it yourself.

Aloha

I've only been to the island of Oahu, and as for things to do on oahu..well heres the list of stuff that we did and things that i wish we had of had more time to do.

- Pearl Harbor & U.S.S Missouri Ship - this is a must see! i didnt think i would be impressed at all, but this was one of my favorite parts to our trip. it is very interesting and you actually get to tour the missouri battleship. then pearl harbor is just interesting because its something that you always have learned about in history class, but then you are experiencing it first hand. its amazing.

- Sea Life Park - it was something to see, but it wasnt that great. they did have wonderful dolphin and sea lion shows, but it wasnt what i thought i was going to be. its actually rather small and you can see it all in a matter of an hour tops. but if you are going to swim with the dolphins or walk underwater then it would have been cool but i didnt do any of those things. Also, we did the Sea Life Park luau and i dont reccommend it! i honestly HATED the food there and the entertainment was very amatured too. Gerrmaines is suppose to have a good luau, so you may check it out.

- Haunama Bay (snorkeling) - I loved this! it was just a day to go out and see all the fish in the coral reef, as well as relax on the beach. it was wonderful and cheap too! it only cost us our transporation out there...rental equipment to snorkle and then $5 to enter the park. which isnt bad at all.

- Dole Plantation and North Shore Tour - we did this all in one day and the dole plantation was another thing that i wasnt that impressed with, but if you do go there, you have to get some pineapple chilli and pineapple whip ice cream..both are simply delicious!

- Swap Meet - Aloha stadium - its a HUGE flee market. it costs about $3 to get in and you can stay there all day and get awesome bargains! i got a really cute binkini for $13 dollars.

- International Marketplace - Great shopping as well! its something that you have to see - they have everything and anything!

- Waikiki Beach - awesome place to just relax and watch the people. also if you want to be relaxed and have fun at the same time...go to an ABC store (they're all over waikiki) and get a floatie and float around in the ocean...its wonderful! i thought i was going to fall asleep once.

thats all the places that we visited. we also wanted to visit the zoo and the aquarium because we actually heard that the zoo was suppose to be better than Sea Life Park. i dont know how true that is, but it might be worth it just to go see what all it has. also, i wanted to go parasailing, but i never got around to doing that either.

We stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel and if you dont know yet where you are going to stay then you should check that place out. its really nice and has a great location. its right across the road from waikiki beach and within walking distance of the international marketplace as well as great places to eat. the hotel also has a restraunt in it that on certain nights has an all you can eat buffet of crab legs and prime rib, plus alot of other stuff too! it was great and actually not that unreasonably priced!

We did not rent a car while we were there, just because you dont need one along the beach, because its always nice to walk and see everything. Also, whenever you schedule your "excursions" or "outings" then you are most likely going to be on a tour bus with a tour guide. If you want to do any traveling around the island or town besides that, then you can catch the city bus for $2...which isnt a bad price at all.

things you should definately remember to bring are swimming gear, shorts, tank tops/t-shirts, flip flops, cameras, and lots & lots of money because everything over there costs quite a bit. its definately worth it though!

hope you have fun in hawaii and i hope that i have helped you out and answered your questions!! ALOHA!