ickmick asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Split sole and full sole tap shoes?

I'm taking a beginning Tap class this semester and I already bought my tap shoes, but I was wondering what the difference is between split sole and full sole taps? And also, which is better?

Favorite Answer

Split sole tap shoes have no hard middle on the bottom. So if you were to hold your tap you shoe you would be able to bend it having the heel and toe touch. Full sole tape shoes are where there is a hard middle. It doesn't bend. Both shoes are really good. If you go on toe you can get either one it is just a little harder on full sole. If you do go on toe you have to have a box toe on the front of your tap shoe. With the split sole it is good to go on toe but you don't have to, you also have to have a box toe in them to go up on your toes. The full sole gives you a little more support than the split sole but either shoe is great. Depending on what type of shoe you got I would try the other one and then see which one I liked better. Have a great time dancing! DANCING ROCKS!

Split Sole Tap Shoes

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Split sole and full sole tap shoes?

Source(s): split sole full sole tap shoes: https://shortly.im/tZGw7
  • Sarah

I have a few pairs of tap shoes. I tend to use my split sole tap shoes when doing a lot of toe work. I love and prefer them but everybody's different! Go in the store and give them a try. They might feel uncomfortable at 1st.

As you can read above, split sole has soles on the ball of your foot and heel, but nothing on your arch. They are good for pointing your toes and tap dancing on your toes. Full sole tap shoes have one long sole that runs from your toes to your heel. They're good for doing toestands and stomps.

Which one is better? That depends on the type of tap dancing your doing. If you're doing Classical, Broadway-type tap dancing (think 42 street) split-sole works best in my opinion. If your doing rhythimc tap, which concentrates on putting sounds together in long combinations (think Bonjanles) full sole works best for me.

In reality, however, both are very usuable, and if you've already bought a pair, i wouldn't worry about running out and fixing it!

I have to agree the most with AmandaB.

I was going to say that I didn't see what difference it made because you don't really need that much flexibility of the foot in tap, but I'd go with her advice.

I always have full sole so I guess I wouldn't really know the difference, besides I don't take tap that often so maybe I shouldn't even be answering this question. But I wanted to agree with AmandaB, especially if Tap is something You really want to be excellent at.

split soles are more flexible, but not necessarily better. capezio makes a really nice full sole tap oxford. i prefer the bloch tapflex just because i hate wearing shoes in general, and they provide good support for little old archless me :)

split sole tap shoes are very flexiable and you can point your toes and go on releve...very easily... full sole tap shoes are not soo flexiable... they are also a bit harder to break in... i prefer split sole... i was taught to dance on my toes in tap so its easier for me to have split sole

full sole is better to do toe stands and stuff which i doubt you'll be doing is you are just starting tap.

split sole is flexible and are better for beginners.

Source(s): i take tap =]

split sole by far are better because they give your foot better flexablity. full soles will not allow your foot to bend as much. the better range of motion your foot has the easier it will be and the better the sound. hope this helps.