Relevance
  • Z
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

SQL = Structured Query Language

Source(s): MCSE
  • 1 decade ago

SQL is a standard computer language for accessing and manipulating databases

What is SQL?

SQL stands for Structured Query Language

SQL allows you to access a database

SQL is an ANSI standard computer language

SQL can execute queries against a database

SQL can retrieve data from a database

SQL can insert new records in a database

SQL can delete records from a database

SQL can update records in a database

SQL is easy to learn

SQL is a Standard - BUT....

SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard computer language for accessing and manipulating database systems. SQL statements are used to retrieve and update data in a database. SQL works with database programs like MS Access, DB2, Informix, MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, etc.

Unfortunately, there are many different versions of the SQL language, but to be in compliance with the ANSI standard, they must support the same major keywords in a similar manner (such as SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT, WHERE, and others).

Note: Most of the SQL database programs also have their own proprietary extensions in addition to the SQL standard

• 1 decade ago

It is a database, it stands for structured query language. It is a way for you to store/edit data through a command line, and it is very effective if you learn it.

• 1 decade ago

It is a language used to access/modify organized data stored inside tables (conceptually).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think rather than explaining my self...y dont u check the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

It will explain it lot better besides the wikipedia.com is one of the best places to go and look for answers nowadays :)

Hope this helps :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.