PATRICIA P asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Should an antibiotic be prescribed for a patient by the dentist after an infected tooth has been extracted?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

technically the infection is removed with the infected tooth removal,however if there is concern about the infection in your body and a lowered immunity due to other health complications the antibiotic would be beneficial.For most cases that I have assisted, follwing post operative care including rest and fluids will prevent further infection from the extraction site.

• 1 decade ago

I was given an antibiotic ~before~ the tooth was pulled. Therefore, I was still on it during and after the procedure.

I'm not sure of typical protocol, I don't work in the dental field, but I would think that for any type of infection an antibiotic would be prescribed at some point.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

At times a dentist may prescribe antibiotics afteran extraction.

• 1 decade ago

I would say yes.... even though the infected tooth is removed.. the dentist has to make sure that the infection didn't get into the blood strem... and it all depends on how long you have had the infected tooth before it was pulled.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • angela
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, just to make sure all of the infection is gone. My wisdom teeth were infected when I had them removed. I took an antibiotic before and I'm pretty sure he gave me an antibiotic after he removed them also, but I could be wrong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I just had 10 pulled Friday...one of which was infected and my dentist prescribed 1000 mg of Amoxocillin a day because it had spread. It is my understanding that this is not all that uncommon.

• 1 decade ago

He is just doing that as an extra precaution. Yes dentist do precribe meds for infections. better to be safe than sorry. I would take it just in case. Also it depends on how bad your infected tooth was and if it spread.

• 1 decade ago

I wasn't aware the dentist could prescribe anything. But it wouldn't be too surprising. If the dentist is competent, then I guess you should trust him. He'll be much more knowledgeable about these things than you or most people on Yahoo! Answers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.