tokala
Lv 4
tokala asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

what is the diference between "wedding" and "marriage" ?

Update:

Thanks for all those answers !

In fact, I'm married.

But I was confused about those 2 words because in french (I'm French) there is only one word : "mariage" means "marriage" and also "wedding". Sometimes we way "cérémonie du mariage" ( = marriage ceremony) in order to say wedding, but we don't have a proper word.

By the way, shauna, I answered your survey.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Lydia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The wedding is the ceremony of marriage. It doesn't mean the big traditional celebration as opposed to being married by a jp or at a courthouse - it's both, and everything in between.

Some people say they got married one date and had the wedding another date. That is WRONG. The date of the ceremony - the date of the marriage taking place - IS the wedding. Maybe they had the reception or a party at another date, but that doesn't change the date of the wedding.

Very good question - I know from reading lots of the questions lately that a lot of the brides-to-be seem confused about the terms.

• 1 decade ago

A wedding is a ceremony that takes place to make a couple legally married. A marriage is a relationship between the couple after the wedding has taken place.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The wedding is the actual ceremony in which two people become married. The marriage is the relationship between the two married people. You can have a great wedding and a horrible marriage!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wed·ding –noun 1. the act or ceremony of marrying; marriage; nuptials.

2. the anniversary of a marriage, or its celebration: They invited guests to their silver wedding.

3. the act or an instance of blending or joining, esp. opposite or contrasting elements: a perfect wedding of conservatism and liberalism.

4. Business Slang. a merger.

mar·riage–noun 1. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

2. the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.

3. the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of a man and woman to live as husband and wife, including the accompanying social festivities: to officiate at a marriage.

4. a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage; homosexual marriage.

5. any close or intimate association or union: the marriage of words and music in a hit song.

6. a formal agreement between two companies or enterprises to combine operations, resources, etc., for mutual benefit; merger.

7. a blending or matching of different elements or components: The new lipstick is a beautiful marriage of fragrance and texture.

8. Cards. a meld of the king and queen of a suit, as in pinochle. Compare royal marriage.

9. a piece of antique furniture assembled from components of two or more authentic pieces.

10. Obsolete. the formal declaration or contract by which act a man and a woman join in wedlock.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

ya marriage is the whole commitment that you want to make to each other and the ups and downs that comes with it. A wedding is the event in which you make the vows and have a ceremony.

• oj
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The wedding is the one day party. The marriage is the relationship that begins with the wedding and carries on.

• 1 decade ago

Marriage is where you actually say your vows and commit a lifetime to each other. Wedding is the celebration/party you have where you invite family/friends to join in the celebration with you. I got married 7/19/04 and had my wedding 9/18/04. There was a "marriage" date and a "wedding" date. We celebrated both dates each year.

• 1 decade ago

Wedding is the commitment ceremony and the marriage is the commitment

• 1 decade ago

Wedding is the celebration, ceremony, etc. Marriage is the lifetime commitment

• 1 decade ago

Wedding refers to the ceremony of saying your vows, marriage is the actual relationship of keeping your vows.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.